Kona Long-Range Trips - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be visiting Kona for the first time later this month. I have a decent amount of experience - most of it in Southern California and Cayman.

I noticed the Kona dive ops have "long-range" trips at a premium price. Are these worth the additional money?

Jack's, for example, also has an "Advanced boat" with local and long range options. I am not crazy about crowded boats or diving with freshly-minted divers, so I'm leaning this direction hoping to be able to dive my computer and have longer bottom times. I don't want to come off as snobby or arrogant at all. That's not the case. I'm just looking for a nice, laid back experience.

Anybody have any input?

Thanks in advance!

KDC
Long range is generally pretty far south and sites in between. Places you can't go for a 2 tank day. Small boat, critter oriented, good guides, great people. Not a cattle boat. They guide you but you do your own dive. Unless you are incredible you'll run out of air before your guide does.
Can't guarantee other divers since we generally go with another experienced couple so it's the 4 of us and a guide. If you make your experience and expectations clear you probably will get the results you are after.

Worth the extra $? Yes. You will go south to red hill area or further, or north to Kua Bay and other sites north of the airport. The entire area south from keauhou to paradise pinnacle is unique topography, with many fun lava tubes and big structure. This is the usual destination, but north of the airport is good too.

Also true that average experience levels are higher and boats are not crowded.

That said, I love the local charters too.

Hope you had a good time on the Big Island. We take folks out on shore dives around Miloli'i and north and get in plenty of bottom time. Our guests that stay at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) are guided to some great places in our area.

Hope you had a good time on the Big Island. We take folks out on shore dives around Miloli'i and north and get in plenty of bottom time. Our guests that stay at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) are guided to some great places in our area.

Thanks, we did. In fact, were going back for Labor Day weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom