Solved: Korea Sub-Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
joshua.d.vise

joshua.d.vise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
I was hoping to get a special dedicated sub-forum made for scuba diving in South Korea. This is because the small dive community here would really benefit from having one source of reliable information, and a good place to connect to other divers. South Korea also has a long history of traditional diving, with the "Dive Women" (해녀) attracting lots of tourists as they collect shellfish.

Does anyone know how to start this kind of forum in the "Regions" section of the community? I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Hi all!
I was told we can get a South Korea dedicated sub-forum if we can get a dozen or so people to message "The Chairman" and request it. If you have a spare moment, please send this person a message expressing your interest in getting our own sub-forum in the Regions/Asia section of the community. Cheers!

Someone can also post comments here.

btw, if there is enough interest, I'm the person who will create the forum - it's what I do.

btw, if there is enough interest, I'm the person who will create the forum - it's what I do.

Hey there diversteve!

Thank you for your help with this. This is a message I sent to "The Chairman", and I think it explains why a Korea-specific region page would be helpful:

The Korean dive community is small, especially compared to nearby Southeast Asia. However, I feel that we would benefit from a sub-forum for the following reasons:

1. There are specialized maritime laws and restrictions that have recently come into effect in Korea, and so having a dedicated page would allow people to educate themselves on these laws.

2. The community is scattered throughout the country, and finding resources in English is not easy. Having a single page would allow people from all over the region to gather and share things in one place.

3. Many English speaking people that live in Korea are teachers that have long summer and winter breaks, and use that time for diving. Having a dedicated page would allow these people to coordinate larger gatherings both within and outside of Korea.

4. Having a ScubaBoard sub-forum would allow the industry to grow and expand within the country. Though the water can be cold and murky, there are dive sites that are worth checking out, and many of these are not well known.

5. Some information that is available in English about Korean diving is outdated. For example, the DAN number for emergencies actually rings up a guy who retired a few years ago! Having a page like this would allow people to share emergency information that would keep divers safe and healthy.

I will work towards motivating others to post more, which would justify the page. Thank you!
Josh

DS...

Please create this sub-forum...I have friends in south Korea that are impacted by this legislation...

Respectfully...

W.W. Meixner...

I think it makes sense to have some place to concentrate information on how to arrange scuba services in English in South Korea! Especially if anyone knows of any groups to dive with in Jeju.

I would like to add my voice to other asking for a Korean sub-forum on ScubaBoard.

I have not dived in Korea but I have visited that beautiful country and I think it would be great if SB created the opportunity to share information and learn more about Korean diving.

I visited the National Museum of Korea when I was in Seoul and I was amazed by the vast trove of underwater treasures that have been recovered from the shipwreck of a 14th Century Chinese trading vessel near Sinan, Korea - see the link below.

Korean scholars and UW archaeologists have been searching, finding, preserving, and studying the wreck and its treasures ever since it was first discovered in the 1970s. The work is still ongoing and they have learned a great deal about the ancient trade routes and Asian cultures in the 1300s.

It would be wonderful to have an opportunity to discuss this fantastic discovery with locals and get updates on progress. I have tried to find more information about the wreck online but I have been hampered by the language differences because Google Translate doesn't do a very good job with Korean!

Thank you for considering this request!

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3009476/shipwreck-recovered-south-korea-reveals-hidden-secrets-about

looks like you're halfway there, it's a go at a dozen responses.

Since I know virtually nothing about diving there I'll need about 2-3 lnes for the forum header description.

fyi, it takes about 20-30minutes to create. Most of that is waiting for the indexes to rebuild so it is visible.

I'm a member first so here's one more Yes...

I'd like to request for the forum also. Currently working in Korea and had two dive trips in Korea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom