Korean drowned - Panglao, Bohol, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad news. Condolences to Kyeongryun Kim family & friends.

This is one reason I have my octopus clipped on my right chest D-ring.

I know some people abhor the air 2 style set up but my Atomic SS1 on my bcd is always right where I need it no matter what. I wonder if these were newly certified divers? rough surf sounds bad for new divers. I was diving in Bohol 10 months ago and waters were calm.

Who ever wrote the article should go back to primary school and learnt the difference between he and she.
I still do not know the gender of both divers for sure!

The whole report just does not make any sense!
The victim lost "his" reg because of strong wave. "Kyeongryun"(victim) failed to replace it over several attempts.
The victim buddy(he) tried to save "her"(???) but she(buddy) was also swept by the current. Buddy failed to bring the body back to shallow water.
So the buddy(she) called for help and the bystanders brought the body to shore!

How did the bystanders brought the body to shore in strong current?
How did the diver drown when he/she never submerged under water?

In the U.S.A. most if not all filipino females mix up the he and the she. With women from the philippines its pretty much 100% they will always call a she a he. I live in silicon valley there are millions of filipinos here.

also just saw someone from P.I. post that this was snorkelers not scuba divers. I quite often saw koreans on cebu snorkeling without Fins. Its alot harder to survive in surf without fins obviously.

IPE it’s a different story - the fluid is in a different space (alveoli) and there is no other way to get rid of it other than using diuretics/diuresis.
In a drowning patient you have mechanical obstruction of the airway but at least initially you don’t have much fluid where the gas exchange happens. Trying to remove the fluid using mechanical methots (Heimlich manoeuvre) is no longer recommended but you can use simple airway opening manoeuvres (head tilt/chin lift) which are usually sufficient.
Hypoxia is the main cause of deaths in drowning victims so oxygen delivery by any mean can only improve the outcome.

Thanks for the info appreciated.

I think keeping it simple makes sense and rescue breaths.

As it happens TSandM mentioned positive pressure ventilation as an approach altho this is just hard rescue breaths AFAIK.

I haven’t been on this board for a few years and just found out about her passing.

No words.

What’s the correct way to get water out of the lungs ?

I think during my rescue class I was only shown how to open the airways by tilting the head a bit backwards using I think a pistol grip

In mine it was Heimlich or bend them over the knee and slap on the back, but that was a long time ago in country that no longer exists. In that same course we were told that victims with blood loss can benefit from a -- gasp -- shot of sweet fortified wine, so I'm sure it was all very wrong.

As I recall a large percentage of drownings are supposed to be "dry", as in a spasm blocks the airway and little to no water gets in. So just opening the airway would in fact be sufficient there, assuming it does relieve the spasm of course.

Positive pressure ventilation aka rescue breaths with a little bit of gusto. It can damage the patient potentially but if the alternative is death then it’s worth trying.

Positive pressure ventilation is simply blowing *hard* into someone’s mouth. That can be enough to create space for any type of O2. It certainly saved my life and as I’m not a doctor can’t prescribe this but it saved me and it makes sense. I may we’ll be wrong but even if so if someone has drowned you need to get some fluid out of their lungs. Compressions are also important but without lungs available for O2 none of it will matter.

Positive pressure ventilation aka rescue breaths with a little bit of gusto. It can damage the patient potentially but if the alternative is death then it’s worth trying.

I think in these United States of Litigation damaging the patient and failing to revive them may be a bit of a concern.

Good Samaritan law - Wikipedia -- pay attention to "consent", "negligence" vs. "gross negligence", and other small print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom