Kota kinabalu diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i will be in kota kinabalu on second week of june for some topside adventures. was wondering if the diving is worth it and whether i can sneak a couple of dives? any suggestions or dive ops to go with? thanks

Well....true yes....BUT.... you don't want photo/video so not to worry.

Just ask em about the divin around KK and if there is dive shop there, they should know...

They should send you a reply pretty quick

Mike Veitch:
Well....true yes....BUT.... you don't want photo/video so not to worry.

Just ask em about the divin around KK and if there is dive shop there, they should know...

They should send you a reply pretty quick

alright i will shoot them an email. i will drop your pangalan

You can easily slip away to dive at the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Marine Park. It's a cluster of five islands just a few minutes' boat ride off shore (8 km). Whether it is worth it depends on your expectations. It's not generally considered "world class" diving, but it can be pleasant, particularly if you like macro stuff. I believe that there are also some diveable WWII Japanese wrecks a couple of hours along the coast.

Check out this trip report posted by a member last month
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=138321

If you're there, go ahead and dive. It's a nice (short) trip away from the city and the islands are beatiful (allthough some trash can disturb the picture in some places). As Quero said, it's not world class but you can still have good dives there. The place with the wrecks is Labuan. Reachable by ferry from KK, the trip takes a two or three hours. Haven't been to Labuan myself, but then I'm not particalarly into wrecks. If you are it might be worth a shot.

There are a few operatrors arranging daytrips to TARP. I have only dived with Borneo Divers. However it was a few years back and things can change, but then they were a quality operation. Not the cheapest though. They used to have a spartan lodge on Mamutik Island (maybe they still have?) were you could stay over. I did once in 2000 and it was a special experience being only a handful of people on the island, having a barbeque and a few beers in the evening.

cheers

/christian

The TAR Park is a treasure hidden in plain sight.

We, Downbelow, have a dive station on Gaya Island, which is ten minutes away by boat from the city, and we regularly discover marine life that is surprising, given the proximity to the city.

If you're in Kota Kinabalu and you're a diver, it would be a shame if you missed out on the exciting, easily accessible diving that is almost closer to the city than the airport.

Give us a shout if you're keen on a couple of dives, sneaky or otherwise :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom