KPP/KOMI Open Season Event 2007!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch552:
I am entertaining the idea of diving at Joes this weekend in my 7mil if anyone else would be there. It sounds like I need to get my crap together and buy a set of doubles. We singles guys are rapidly becoming the minority.

bag_one and I are planning Sat morning around 10:00 and I just sent a PM to Land_Locked to see if he can make it.

Doubles are allot of work and unless you are planning a trip to deep water or learning cave diving I wouldn't be in any hurry. All my diving this year will be local stuff and the Carribean so doubles aren't on my list this year.

I'm going to try and make it, I've got quite a few things to do. If not for diving I may drop by for a stout!!!

As the water warms up I'll be back to diving wet with single tank.

With the insane number of hours I am on call a week I have put on a few more pounds than I would have liked this winter so my SAC sucks right now. Doubles would afford me the extra gas volume for Mermet and BS but I think I am going to go with a DSS singles rig first to get used to the backplate and then buy a doubles wing once I am comfortable.

I'll commit to diving Sat morning sometime tonight once I have cleared my schedule officially.

I"m curious. What is it about doubles that seems to be more work? I have almost 500 doubles dives, and what struck me almost immediately was how easy it was at a dive site because everything is (can be) put together before you arrive. So all I need to do is slide into my thermal protection, kit up in the doubles, and hit the water. For me, kitting up in doubles is easier than an unstable single tank. The doubles stand up better than a single tank that wobbles about.

In fact, it takes me 3-4 dives on my Caribbean trips to re-acclimate to a single tank.

Just curious.

Land Locked:
I'm going to try and make it, I've got quite a few things to do. If not for diving I may drop by for a stout!!!

As the water warms up I'll be back to diving wet with single tank.

You'll have to beat me to the stout Bro :) lolol
And I'll be diving wet but just working on skills mostly
John do ya have us at least a glass Glen? and I have everything I need except vodka for some Long Island Ice Tea For the ladies :) (leaving that up to you)

wb416:
I"m curious. What is it about doubles that seems to be more work? I have almost 500 doubles dives, and what struck me almost immediately was how easy it was at a dive site because everything is (can be) put together before you arrive. So all I need to do is slide into my thermal protection, kit up in the doubles, and hit the water. For me, kitting up in doubles is easier than an unstable single tank. The doubles stand up better than a single tank that wobbles about.

In fact, it takes me 3-4 dives on my Caribbean trips to re-acclimate to a single tank.

Just curious.

I can't speak from experience since I've never dove doubles but it just seems like the extra weight of the tanks along with the extra regulator and valves would be more work. I'm sure that after you get used to it it's probably no big deal. I did get used to my drysuit pretty quickly. For me it will be a major change in equipment though. I now dive a weight integrated back inflate BC so when I switch to doubles I'll have to change my entire rig. As long as I don't have a need for it I'm procrastinating. :D

Never had any stability issues with singles. I want to dive both so I can keep my skills up for trips where singles are the only option. I also hesitate to dive doubles in my 3 mil. I suppose my lift bag would be a MUST if I do!

Land Locked:
Never had any stability issues with singles. I want to dive both so I can keep my skills up for trips where singles are the only option. I also hesitate to dive doubles in my 3 mil. I suppose my lift bag would be a MUST if I do!

For a 3mil, I probably wouldn't attempt doubles any heavier than twin AL80's or steel 72's, or something in that neighborhood. Twin AL80's are pretty sweet though!!

jpsexton:
I can't speak from experience since I've never dove doubles but it just seems like the extra weight of the tanks along with the extra regulator and valves would be more work. I'm sure that after you get used to it it's probably no big deal. I did get used to my drysuit pretty quickly. For me it will be a major change in equipment though. I now dive a weight integrated back inflate BC so when I switch to doubles I'll have to change my entire rig. As long as I don't have a need for it I'm procrastinating. :D

Can't say I really even notice the weight anymore. I recall last year in Roatan that after a shore dive Penny and I were standing in the water chatting with someone on the dock.... then after a while they were like... OMG you still have a tank on your back... and we're... oh, yeh... I guess we do... :)

Don't let him fool you, he makes me walk around the house wearing an al80....when he's being nice....when he's cranky it's the double 130's for me!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom