Kraken compatible BC / BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Lad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone,

Looking at possibly purchasing a Argonaut Kraken, second hand of course as new stock seems to be empty at the moment. In terms of BC, I'd love to use the VDH back plate and wing but again they are out of stock, so I'm forced to use something different it seems.

I have the option of purchasing a Hollis SMS 100 side mount BC (old style) along with the Kraken which the owner has apparently been using together with it, but I'd like to explore possible other options as I only dive single cylinder back mount.

Do we (the Kraken community :D ) have a list of compatible BC / BP&W that allow the Kraken to be in the optimal position down between the shoulder blades?

Or alternatively I'm happy to explore recommendations. I'd like to use a back plate, wing and web harness if possible, being nice and light as I travel.

Cheers,

Scuba-Lad!

I have heard it works well with a freedom plate...

Not Kraken specific, but I use a flat plate that I cut out of a plastic cutting board and I get good double hose can placement. Cutting board cost me $5 and I used a dremel and skillsaw to cut it.
The concern with "traditional" BPW is the center channel raising the cans off your back.
CanPlacement.jpg20190831_153856.jpg
The pics above are version 1 of my DIY BPW (wing is scratch built as well), but there's no reason a "Factory" wing wouldn't work on it as well. Attached is the most recent version of the cutting board layout.

Respectfully,

James

Attachments

• CuttingBoardTemplate.jpg
    CuttingBoardTemplate.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 141
IMO, there are no available backplates comparable to the VDH flat plate. If I were Bryan I would make his BP a priority because there is a lot of pent up demand for it. Seems like an easy product to farm out for production.

James template can be used on aluminum or stainless, any small machine shop could probably whip one out easily enough.

The nice thing about Bryan's plate is the shoulder straps point of suspension are in line with the center of the reg, and the crossed shoulder straps allow the reg to lie even lower down the back.

The nice thing about Bryan's plate is the shoulder straps point of suspension are in line with the center of the reg, and the crossed shoulder straps allow the reg to lie even lower down the back.
If you look closer at my cutting board, it to is set with the straps crossed.... I run it that way for single or double hose.
Respectfully,

James

IMO, there are no available backplates comparable to the VDH flat plate. If I were Bryan I would make his BP a priority because there is a lot of pent up demand for it. Seems like an easy product to farm out for production.

LOL - I'm sure @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose appreciates your decision making for his situation and business....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom