Kuala Lumpur airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anybody been through this airport?Any extra challenges at Customs?

Yes, I transit KUL several times a year.

Customs is a breeze. Get your passport stamped, go to the carousel, pick up your luggage, wheel past the guards at the sliding door.

Now, for what is important:when you get off the aircraft, walk quickly to the tram station. Do not sightsee or you will end up behind a huge herd that will make your life miserable as you wait forever at customs.

BTW, when you do get to the tram station, don't stop - walk to the far end. This will also put you ahead of the herd as you exit the tram, walk through duty free and go down the escalators.

Avoid refering to the city as "Kuala Lumpur", as this will mark you instantly as a low-time tourist; call it "K L" ("kay el"). This will save you some grief from those that target hapless tourist types.

All the best, James

Never had a major issue at the new KL airport. Immigration/custom is usually packed with ppl though. It is also located in another time zone from KL so your ride to the city center will take you a while.

If by "extra challenges" you are referring to slipping a $5 bill along with your passport and embarkation document to the custom officer, then no.

Do NOT bribe the Immigration or Customs officers or you'll find yourself sitting in a room with all your belonging picked with a fine tooth comb and your fingerprints probably taken a few times along the way and run down the Interpol list. And if you're thinking of bringing in scuba equipment, take note that they're not dutiable in Malaysia so don't take any **** if they were to assess their value. We're not a perfect country by far so this does happen once in a while. KL's international airport is slightly better than those in the smaller cities in Malaysia but as mentioned, we're not perfect and there are many Customs officers who do not know that scuba equipment is not subjected to any duties.

HOWEVER, prices in Malaysia are mostly not competitive so I'm willing to take the risk and potential hassle of having to send things halfway across the world for warranty claims / repairs which is why I order online.

I have been through KLIA a few times. No problems at all. It even has a Transit Hotel in C5 area where you can get a room at 6-hourly slots (extendable, of course) of you are a transit passenger.
Malaysian Airlines allows an additional 10kg check-in baggage over the customary 20Kg for bona fide divers.

I used to live in KL, go back two or three times a year, and transit through another two or three times a year en route to other places. I've never had an issue at customs. Sometimes they'll flag you to put your stuff through the imaging machine on the way out, and sometimes they just let you walk through. Immigration is another story, though. What a nightmare it has been lately. Long lines, waits of an hour or two...

Note if you are just passing through - there are two airports in KL and some budget airlines use the other airport so if you are just in transit, double check that you are going through the right one or you have time to transfer.

KLIA is one of the best airports in Asia, LCCT is not.. and whats this got to with Indonesia? Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom