Kubi Dry glove rings with blue smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been using them for about 4 years now with smurf type gloves, I threw the black glove out immediately as they do not have any durability. Last year I switched to using a silicone glove that is made by aqualung (I think?), dark green/grey in colour, great dexterity, tough and they seal great, no cotton backing to cut out.

I've had my Kubi setup for about a year now and I'm still using my first set of the black gloves that came with them.

If I were worried about cutting them, I might just wear some ordinary reef gloves over them. Thin rubber gloves with thin reef gloves over them seems like it might yield just as good dexterity as thicker rubber gloves. Depending, of course.

I actually got some Hardy work gloves at Harbor Freight the other day that I'm really liking. They are mesh with some kind of PVC coating on the whole face of the palm and fingers. Very, very thin. I used them on 4 wreck dives last weekend, where I was inside the wrecks and definitely using my hands to stabilize or push myself around. I was not wearing dry gloves under them, but I didn't get any kind of pokes, cuts, or scrapes on my fingers. And they only cost $1.99 a pair! I'm definitely going back to get a one size bigger pair to wear over my dry gloves.

I'd like to add my experience also as I just went thru this ordeal...
Firstly, whoever managed to install smurf gloves using the original (smallest) o-ring must be a wizard, as I could not get even close, what I did was use the o-ring that usually seals with the cuff side (the second to largest) and this makes it much easier (hopefully this is enough to hold the glvoes in)
(for the records, i have 80mm rings and showa 760r size large)

I'd like to add my experience also as I just went thru this ordeal...
Firstly, whoever managed to install smurf gloves using the original (smallest) o-ring must be a wizard, as I could not get even close, what I did was use the o-ring that usually seals with the cuff side (the second to largest) and this makes it much easier (hopefully this is enough to hold the glvoes in)
(for the records, i have 80mm rings and showa 760r size large)

PM me if you need help and I can walk you through it, once you know how, it is very easy and only takes a few minutes.

PM me if you need help and I can walk you through it, once you know how, it is very easy and only takes a few minutes.

Could you share with us how you did it?

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone uses the blue smurf gloves with the Kubi rings? I just bought a set of Kubi rings with the intention of using the blue smurf gloves (Atlas 660 gloves I get from Seattle Marine). I fitted the glove rings on as per the instructions, but they flooded the first time I tried them. I realized the issue was that the sealing surface was the inside of the glove, but these gloves have a cotton fabric on the inside which is coated on the outside with vinyl. As a result, it slowly leaks as the cotton fabric on the inside won't form a water tight seal with the rings. I may also be installing them wrong as well, which is a definite possibility.
First 2 pictures is what kubi recommends. They leaked,
This was my fix

Attachments

• received_454227008589789.jpeg
    received_454227008589789.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 108
  • received_700135390512318.jpeg
    received_700135390512318.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 99
  • received_605266903377210.jpeg
    received_605266903377210.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 113
  • received_452694992064615.jpeg
    received_452694992064615.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 118
  • received_459145751418483.jpeg
    received_459145751418483.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 111
Highly recommend switching from the SHOWA 660 to the SHOWA 720 gloves.

Stretchier, warmer, no cotton that starts to stink after awhile, and tougher.

-Z

First 2 pictures is what kubi recommends. They leaked,
This was my fix
What ring size do you have? I use 80 mm and can't get the wrinkles out. The Showa gloves I have won't work on thee rings.

Back
Top Bottom