L.p 85 or l.p 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At your height, LP85s or LP108s and/or their HP counterparts.

LP95 will totally piss you off.

49 CFR 173.32 (f)3
I would argue that this does not apply based on the definition of a "portable tank" being:
"Portable tank means a bulk packaging (except a cylinder having a water capacity of 1000 pounds or less) designed primarily to be loaded onto, or on, or temporarily attached to a transport vehicle or ship and equipped with skids, mountings, or accessories to facilitate handling of the tank by mechanical means. It does not include a cargo tank, tank car, multi-unit tank car tank, or trailer carrying 3AX, 3AAX, or 3T cylinders."

I'd also argue that burst discs are not required, at least based on this regulation (f(2)) because air is not a "hazardous material," defined as:

"Hazardous material means a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous under section 5103 of Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5103). The term includes hazardous substances, hazardous wastes, marine pollutants, elevated temperature materials, materials designated as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Table (see 49 CFR 172.101), and materials that meet the defining criteria for hazard classes and divisions in part 173 of this subchapter."

I’ve had several sets of doubles. 130s, 104s, 95s, LP80s, and 50s. I also have 85s, but I’ve only used them as sidemount tanks. The 95s were my least favorite, simply because of their length. The taller tanks are more comfortable.

I would say LP 108s if cave diving is in your future. If you want lighter tanks go with LP85s, if you want more gas than LP85s, go with LP108s over the LP95s.

At your height, LP85s or LP108s and/or their HP counterparts.

LP95 will totally piss you off.

This is true, I am 6'2" and was diving double pst 95s until I tried a set of Faber LP108. Taller tanks fit my frame better, same drag in the water (both 8" diameter). They are not as negative in the water, so less air in the wing really helped with stabilizing buoyancy.

The point was not to encourage overfilling. LP tanks can take over filling and they do it well. My thoughts were related to the fill shops. So many do not look at the tank before they fill it. 2400 or 3400 tank they get filled to 3k. The customer catches it and says """hey that's a 3400 tank"""" and they top it off. Many get 3k hot fill at least the lp tank ends up with a full fill regardless if it cools to 2800

What's an overfill on a LP steel tank? 4500psi?

I am a little taller and about 30 lbs lighter. From my experience the 85's are a good tank for little dives for bigger divers. Like others have said I would skip the 95's and go to 108's or 121's. I didn't see where you mentioned it but I didn't like lp 121's for bm but I use them regularly in sm and actually prefer them over my 108's.

@Michael Guerrero - You’re just not correct here. The CFR does apply to SCUBA cylinders.
- 29 CFR 1910.1200 classifies all pressurized gasses as hazard substances.
- 39 CFR 183.115 specifies compressed air over 40psi to be a hazardous substance.
- 49 CFR 180.205 requires over pressure devices specifically for 3AA and 3AL cylinders.
- CGA Pam S-1.1 requires an over pressure device.
- 49 CFR 178, 37 covers specifications for 3AA cylinders and 47 covers 3AL cylinders. The service pressure marking is required, it is not a suggestion. It is the maximum pressure allowed in that cylinder at 70 degrees F.
- There are also OSHA regulations, 29 CFR 1910.10, around an employer’s responsibilities. These include visual inspection and the use of over pressure relief. An employer allowing, directing or exposing employees to improperly handled or stored cylinders is in violation. Filling beyond the service pressure is improper handling.
This goes on and on and on...
And to put this to rest...
- 49 CFR 173.302 specifies what is required for the maximum allowed 10% overfill of a steel cylinder. Along with the hydro test requirements it specifies a burst disk is required.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom