L.p 85 or l.p 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And for the record, as far as the federal regulations are concerned a 2400 psi tank is not low pressure. CGA Pub C-6 specifies a high pressure steel cylinder as over 900psi.

I'd also argue that burst discs are not required, at least based on this regulation (f(2)) because air is not a "hazardous material," defined as:

"Hazardous material means a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous under section 5103 of Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5103). The term includes hazardous substances, hazardous wastes, marine pollutants, elevated temperature materials, materials designated as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Table (see 49 CFR 172.101), and materials that meet the defining criteria for hazard classes and divisions in part 173 of this subchapter."

The hazzard is the pressure the air is under. I believe the burst disc is required. Its requirement may be in the fire code and not specifically the cfr. Although the cfr's reference them and are required to be checked for operation and proper sizing.

What's an overfill on a LP steel tank? 4500psi?

techally anyting above teh working pressure. A lp tank is (generally) 2400. There are other lp tanks with other working pressures but he lp95 is a 2400 tank. With a plluss rating it is 2640. Many call the AL80 a lp tank also. but as far as Lp goes with the tanks mentioned it is 2400. I mormally fill mine to 3200 and they cool to 3000+. Cave fills are often done to 4000.

LP 85 in sidemount is my absolute favorite configuration. Super easy to trim out; carry a good amount of gas, and are not unwieldy on land. Of course YMMV with your body shape. I'm 6'1", about 200 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom