L.p 85 or l.p 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're fairly tall and the 95 are short. Would you be able to get them trimmed out properly?
Great question not sure as of right now I'm fin heavy went from a rubber fin to dive rite xt and love them I'm still slightly fin heavy and that's with adding 2 lbs to my shoulders and I have my tank as high as I can get It but my fin heaviness will prob even out after a few more dive only have 2 dives with the fins. I'm thinking since it is shorter and I can keep it higher that might pull some weight away from my mid section and move more towards my head allowing for a better balance does that make sense?

2" when it comes to trim and weight placement can actually end up being quite a bit. Drastically oversimplify everything and imagine your body as a seesaw. Moving weight placement 2" closer to the fulcrum can drastically change trim.

A real world example: I can't for the life of me trim out PST tanks that are about 2" shorter than my Faber tanks (both are HP 100's but the PST tanks are shorter tanks), all else essentially being equal, without adding an impractical amount of tail weight.

I am pretty close to the op's size at 6'2" and ~275. I had been diving a pair of LP95s (I think they are coyne, but similar to PST). Diving with a 5mm wetsuit, they are pretty heavy tanks. My last 25 dives have been with a set of faber LP 108 I found used for a good deal. These fit my body size much better and have better buoyancy characteristics. They are 8" diameter, so really same as the 95s, but 2" taller which actually seems a better fit when gearing up and reaching valves etc. I am trimming out better because they are not as negative as the LP95s.

I have never dove a faber 95, so that might be a different story.. But for a large/tall dude, I see no advantage in getting a short 95 vs a taller 104/108/112 (OMS 112s are the same tank as a faber 108)

**And if you are in the High Springs area any time soon, I would be happy to let you try out either of my sets of doubles.. I could even put bands on a pair of 104s I have if you want to try that out.

Last edited:
I admire all you guys that are willing to lug around double 95s. I have a pair but they are now used as singles. I'm not a big guy so 95s doubled up I only wanted to stand up, walk a couple steps, and fall off the boat into the water. I bought them because someone who was getting out of diving offered them to me for 300 bucks with bands and manifold. They do hold a lot of gas. But my 85's are more than enough for me when two cylinders are required. Sidemount though, no more back mount doubles for me if I can help it.

I pair my LP95s but only in sidemount. I have a pair of LP85s in backmount config and love those off of a boat.

Rent or borrow different tanks and see what you like best...

I'm with Jack..... NEVER blindly buy new gear... Head up to Amigos for a day of diving at Troy and rent a couple of doubles... 85 and 95 compare them then... the buoyancy and trim are different enough to warrant a day of diving with both.

Don't forget Cave Country Dive Shop for renting tanks. Far, far cleaner and they like ScubaBoard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom