L.p 85 or l.p 95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

though I also try to spread my $$ across all the shops as should EVERY diver.
I go where I'm welcome.

U say that the
I am pretty close to the op's size at 6'2" and ~275. I had been diving a pair of LP95s (I think they are coyne, but similar to PST). Diving with a 5mm wetsuit, they are pretty heavy tanks. My last 25 dives have been with a set of faber LP 108 I found used for a good deal. These fit my body size much better and have better buoyancy characteristics. They are 8" diameter, so really same as the 95s, but 2" taller which actually seems a better fit when gearing up and reaching valves etc. I am trimming out better because they are not as negative as the LP95s.

I have never dove a faber 95, so that might be a different story.. But for a large/tall dude, I see no advantage in getting a short 95 vs a taller 104/108/112 (OMS 112s are the same tank as a faber 108)

**And if you are in the High Springs area any time soon, I would be happy to let you try out either of my sets of doubles.. I could even put bands on a pair of 104s I have if you want to try that out.

U say the lp95 are heavy wouldn't the lp108 be more. And what do u mean the 95s are more negative then the 108s

I'm with Jack..... NEVER blindly buy new gear... Head up to Amigos for a day of diving at Troy and rent a couple of doubles... 85 and 95 compare them then... the buoyancy and trim are different enough to warrant a day of diving with both.

Troy can be nice, but... That is the ramp from hell in the summer!! For Testing out tanks and gear config, I would be at The Ginnie ballroom

I actually prefer a slow walk with BM doubles vs the 2+ walks and 15+ minutes of fiddling at the surface.. that I see with most SM divers.

No kidding, two weeks ago at P1, I thought I was gonna get heat stroke waiting to get in the water while some SM diver was blocking the left side ladder unclipping and re-clipping just about every bolt-snap he could find!! WTF! *Right side had a line of 3/4 SM divers exiting the water. Say what you want about BM! I can get in/out of the water pretty darn fast!

Don't forget Cave Country Dive Shop for renting tanks. Far, far cleaner and they like ScubaBoard!

I personally don't thing you can go wrong with either option listed. I like both shops for different reasons. Kind of sux that people seem to fall into camps. But there do seem to be plenty of folks that can spread the love around without making anyone group upset.

U say that the

U say the lp95 are heavy wouldn't the lp108 be more. And what do u mean the 95s are more negative then the 108s

Actually that is not the case. Look up the chart with the buoyancy traits full/empty for all the tanks by size/manufacturer. You will see that there is not a direct correlation. even within a set size. Like a Worthington LP85 is more negative in the water than a Faber LP85.

PST tanks (and coyne) are typically heavier gauge steel than LP Fabers. Even Faber HP100s are much heavier than Faber LP85s even though they are nearly identical in tank volume (liters).

That's why a set of coyne LP95 can be heavier than a set of Faber 108 (OMS 112 same tank). As I said before.. after diving both, my 108s are my 'go to' tank for BM doubles where tight spaces are not an issue. I am about the size of a Mac Truck with either set on my back, but that's really not an issue at places like Ginnie. Certainly, I create less flow resistance in the 108s, because I don't have to add more volume to my wing staying neutral. And I can feel the difference when swimming against the flow. Being taller that 6' also makes the taller tanks a better choice.

You should also consider that larger tank diameter will create more resistance in the water. and if swimming against strong flow can have a big affect to air consumption. I think that's why the 85 are so popular. They seem to be the best balance between tank capacity and streamlining.

Ken referenced the 70s/80s era 104s. I also have a set of the 80s PST versions, and they are heavy enough to anchor a boat. I have heard rumors that some of the early 70s tanks were a lot better, but don't know for sure. You can find the 104s cheap because some folks don't like them and there are just better options now.

Troy can be nice, but... That is the ramp from hell in the summer!! For Testing out tanks and gear config, I would be at The Ginnie ballroom

AN overhead environment is NOT the place to be evaluating equipment.... just saying...

I go where I'm welcome.

:) ok, you got me there... there is one shop I wont go too... won't name it... but YEP if they are not friendly 2 times in a row, there won't be a third chance.

No kidding, two weeks ago at P1, I thought I was gonna get heat stroke waiting to get in the water while some SM diver was blocking the left side ladder unclipping and re-clipping just about every bolt-snap he could find!! WTF! *Right side had a line of 3/4 SM divers exiting the water. Say what you want about BM! I can get in/out of the water pretty darn fast!

You could have pardoned yourself and passed by the slow SM diver... I dive SM and have done the same (bypassed slower).... I have a heat intolerance too... and I don't even wear a drysuit.... sometimes getting in the water is imperative, even if I have to wait 20 minutes on my buddy.

AN overhead environment is NOT the place to be evaluating equipment.... just saying...
It is for a certified cave diver who lives in high springs like @Caveeagle does...Especially if he was looking to see how said equipment functions in the type of environment in which the equipment would be used.

Realistically, for a change like seeing how one set of tanks trimmed out vs another, I would suspect many cave divers would skip the ballroom and do a quick trim check over little devils before heading down the run to enter the cave...

I had a set of Faber LP95's, but they were too short for me (I'm 6' 1"). I like Faber LP108's much better all around. More gas, more comfortable, better trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom