Labor Day weekend (Sept 1)...dive conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually go to Coz in the winter months (although there's a risk of a Norte, we like escaping from a cold, wet winter and enjoy what to us is hot, sunny weather in Coz, even in January-February, when we typically go). I have always avoided visiting during the peak of hurricane season (late summer through fall) since I figure then there's a chance of a complete blow-out. I recognize that the chances are low of a direct hit by a major hurricane.

Turns out this year our winter travel plans are all booked up (Thailand and a Maldives liveaboard December/January - don't hate me). But I'd like to get some easy tropical diving in before then. I'm trying to find options for a short trip to Cozumel, and the Labor Day weekend (a long holiday weekend in the US, around September 1) keeps coming up.

So even though it goes against my longtime warnings to my wife ("never go to the Caribbean during hurricane season!") I'm contemplating a trip to Cozumel in the last few days of August and into the first few days of September. This is right around the peak of hurricane season, so I know if we're unlucky, there's some chance of a major storm blowing through and completely washing out the diving for several days. OTOH, if we're not unlucky...hotel prices are a bit lower then, crowds should thin out (presumably all due to knee-jerk hurricane fears...the irony of this is not lost on me).

I know people dive Cozumel year-round.

Assuming there's no major hurricane, what's the weather and dive conditions typically like during this time (last week of August/first week of September)? Other than the (admittedly low) chance of a big storm blowing through, anything else I should know about being there/diving there during this time of year?

Thanks!

I usually go to Coz in the winter months (although there's a risk of a Norte, we like escaping from a cold, wet winter and enjoy what to us is hot, sunny weather in Coz, even in January-February, when we typically go). I have always avoided visiting during the peak of hurricane season (late summer through fall) since I figure then there's a chance of a complete blow-out. I recognize that the chances are low of a direct hit by a major hurricane.

Turns out this year our winter travel plans are all booked up (Thailand and a Maldives liveaboard December/January - don't hate me). But I'd like to get some easy tropical diving in before then. I'm trying to find options for a short trip to Cozumel, and the Labor Day weekend (a long holiday weekend in the US, around September 1) keeps coming up.

So even though it goes against my longtime warnings to my wife ("never go to the Caribbean during hurricane season!") I'm contemplating a trip to Cozumel in the last few days of August and into the first few days of September. This is right around the peak of hurricane season, so I know if we're unlucky, there's some chance of a major storm blowing through and completely washing out the diving for several days. OTOH, if we're not unlucky...hotel prices are a bit lower then, crowds should thin out (presumably all due to knee-jerk hurricane fears...the irony of this is not lost on me).

I know people dive Cozumel year-round.

Assuming there's no major hurricane, what's the weather and dive conditions typically like during this time (last week of August/first week of September)? Other than the (admittedly low) chance of a big storm blowing through, anything else I should know about being there/diving there during this time of year?

Thanks!

The water is a little warmer and the onshore temperatures are a lot warmer, but other than that it's pretty much the same as it ever was. If a hurricane is coming into the area you'll know it in time to change your plans if you think it's not worth taking the chance.

Thanks, @ggunn, helpful info.

Is this (say, 1 September) past the cutoff for whale sharks at Mujeres?[/QUOT

No. Permits for whale sharks go until Sept 17. We do daily tours up until then. The sharks do start to thin out at the end of august but we still guarantee the tour. Plan and book with Blue H2o Cozumel
or
www.whalesharktoursmexico.com

I have been in September and it couldn't have been better. Water was extremely warm and clear. Day time temps were definitely hot and humid, but bearable. It is off season, so much quieter and chill. I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to return that time of year, but like you, I now tend to go to Cozumel in the winter and go to Bonaire in August/September.

September and October are arguably the best times of the year to be here barring as you say the bad luck of the draw.

Crowds are a lot lower, lodging (not diving) usually less, and the ocean is usually like glass.

I love late October, but late August early Sept is beastly hot and humid. The diving rocks since the water is warm and the crowds are lower though so that is a plus.

I love late October, but late August early Sept is beastly hot and humid. The diving rocks since the water is warm and the crowds are lower though so that is a plus.
FWIW, the temperature in the waters around Cozumel doesn't change very much year round.

FWIW, the temperature in the waters around Cozumel doesn't change very much year round.

85 at that time of year versus 78-79 in Feb when I was there is a big difference. In feb/ march I wear a 3mm full suit with a 1.5mm rash guard and a hood. In Sept and October I will wear a 1mm depending on how many consecutive days I am diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom