Lack of "Anti-Internet" Dive Support Mfgs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have noticed many people state that they are suprised that manufacturers such as Suunto, Seaquest, ScubaPro, etc. do not have a presence here. The problem is these manufacturers do not believe in Internet sales and from what I have seen, leave their "representation" to LDS's. It is very disturbing that these manufacturers can not spare someone on their staff to take the time to answer questions in a place like ScubaBoard that has a large representation of the dive community. It is just like the discussion about Aqualung removing DiveSports's dealership status and the issues with ScubaPro and ScubaToys. I never saw any representation from these manufacturers except the removal of Phil's thread on the threat of Aqualung suing him. Where are these guys and when are they going to get off there rear ends and contribute to the scuba community and not just to their wallets?

What Aqualung did to Phil at Dive Sports is the whole reason that essentially hundreds (or maybe more) of us will not longer spend our hard earned dollars on anything of the Aqualung brand.

Aqualung (and the others) need to realize that their actions are only hurting themselves.

They could restore our confidence in them by coming onto this forum with their prescence here, treating dealers fairly and quit trying to control their dealers, and admit their actions were wrong.

If I was Phil, I wouldn't take Aqualung back if they came begging, but I know Phil is better than that. He'd do it because he'd try to do what was right for his customers who might be willing to take them (Aqualung) back.. That's the difference in these two companies.

The funny thing is: they need to inform people BEFORE they get to their LDS. They do this with advertising on magazines. The largest circulation of any magazine is 180,000. Last February we had 1.27 million visitors (uniques) here on ScubaBoard. Do the math!

We offer both FREE as well as PAID advertisement. How important is it? Go to Oceanic's or to Aeris' web site and see. They are directing people here to read about their products.

large manufacturer's often "control" a couple of the diving magazines with their advertising power. ( I think everyone knows which ones I'm talking about).

Scubaboard definately doesn't fall under those controls.

That's why we have so many reading us: truly unbiased gear reviews by real divers who dive for fun.

I guarentee that these "manufacturer's" read Scubaboard though and discuss the threads that are read here. It's just that some of them would rather take the cowardly approach to it and try to suppress free speach about their products and their anti-trust law dealer agreements.

Why they might not want to admit it, the fact that they come here to read the Aqualung discussions is proof of the power of this site alone. So powerful they even discussed it in their scheduled staff meetings.... with their legal teams... etc...

Interesting thing is that it's not just Aqualung that is reading the Aqualung thread. Other manufacturers are reading it also wanting to make sure they are not going to loose customers or are they in vi0lation of any anti-trust laws also.... You can bet it's discussed in their staff meetings also.

I'm betting that Aqualungs business practices and the way they handled this in just this once incident have cost them between $250k and $500k in lost sales. If not more.

mike_s:
I'm betting that Aqualungs business practices and the way they handled this in just this once incident have cost them between $250k and $500k in lost sales. If not more.
I don't know if that is verifiable, but I am certain that www.ScubaBoard.com has done nothing to hurt their business.

This shameless denial of any responsibility for their mess comes from living in our litigous society.

Pete.

I didn't mean to imply that Scubaboard or any other shop had done anything to hurt their business. They've done that all on their own.

I doubt there is any way to verify the amount but I know they know how much each dealer sells a year, so they know what it is.. Of course they will never release such information to us. But they know....

When I was purchasing my gear Scubapro, Atomic, Aqualung, etc were a blip on the radar if anything at all. They might have superior product, superior price, etc but they won't get my internet-only business if they continue ignoring the internet. Seems like a growing percentage of people are doing the internet thang, so once again DAMN THE MAN (maybe excluding Netdoc and gang green, I feel generous on my rebellious weekend)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom