Lack of "Anti-Internet" Dive Support Mfgs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can’t be easy being a manufacturer on Scubaboard. You are susceptible to derogatory remarks, criticism and public scrutiny. Although it is sometimes warranted, it doesn't mean it's easy to accept.

The manufacturers on Scubaboard have displayed the following characteristics, and in my opinion, make them an asset to the Scubaboard community:

1) They are not afraid of competition
2) They publicly stand behind their products by addressing any questions or concerns
3) They value the comments of those in the diving community

Franky, I don't think it's an internet thing. If Aqualung or any other manufacturer doesn't want their products sold on the internet, then that's fine. I think they should have the right to conduct business anyway they see fit. However, they need to realize that the success of their business will depend heavily on these types of decisions.

For me, it’s a Scubaboard thing. Chris and Doug’s (Oceanic/Aeris) representation on this board was the deciding factor for me in buying their equipment. They have displayed a genuine concern for their customers and have proven their dedication to excellence through their comments and actions via Scubaboard.

This is exactly why I have just purchased 2 full sets of Aeris gear (in case you are wondering...it was from scubatoys!). Aeris has great gear!...and great service to go with it!

I am sure other divers are just as happy with their gear from manufacturers not represented on Scubaboard, but I truly believe that my gear came with something extra – peace of mind knowing that my manufacturer is just one post away in case I need them!

I hope one day all dive gear manufacturers participate and contribute to the Scubaboard community. I think it would be beneficial for all parties involved. Until then, thanks to all the manufacturers who make Scubaboard a powerful resource for divers! :D

Thanks,

Josh

The main reason I joined as a USIA Representative is because I felt someone was unfairly bashing our products. Once I joined, I have found Scubaboard an invaluable source of information and a great way to communicate with customers and peers. The main reason that a lot of other manufacturers do not represent themselves is that they are not tuned into the diving community. I know Chris and Doug from Oceanic and Zak from Mares and myself are all younger guys in our 30's. We've been in the business since we were kids and we all have a tremendous passion for diving and the industry.

JGraves:
For me, it’s a Scubaboard thing.
I loved this take on things, because it's true. It IS a ScubaBoard thing. We don't like/appreciate/allow the bashing of divers or manufacturers. No flames or epithets are appropriate here and we do our best to keep things friendly. No, not everyone will like every manufacturer or shop, but we refuse to allow them to harrass or bash at will.

Quite often when we are presented with an account of an event, we will seek out the other side so we can hear them as well. Quite often, the choice to remain silent is the choice to let the story remain one sided. Go figure.

JGraves:
It can’t be easy being a manufacturer on Scubaboard. You are susceptible to derogatory remarks, criticism and public scrutiny. Although it is sometimes warranted, it doesn't mean it's easy to accept.

True and the manufacturers who handle these things in a professional manner will earn the respect of members of the dive community. The "silent majority" can come here, research a manufacturer and possibly get the opportunity to see how they deal with detractors. It's not easy to be criticised but if you take what the critics say and use it to improve yourself and to correct any false information about your company and your product and you do this in a professional manner the silent majority thinks "Hey, they are a company I would like to do business with."
Ber :lilbunny:

NetDoc:
I loved this take on things, because it's true. It IS a ScubaBoard thing. We don't like/appreciate/allow the bashing of divers or manufacturers. No flames or epithets are appropriate here and we do our best to keep things friendly. No, not everyone will like every manufacturer or shop, but we refuse to allow them to harrass or bash at will.

Quite often when we are presented with an account of an event, we will seek out the other side so we can hear them as well. Quite often, the choice to remain silent is the choice to let the story remain one sided. Go figure.

I just don't understand that the silent mfgs fail to see what the representatives from USIA, DSS, Aeris/Oceanic, Zeagle, etc. see, not only see but embrace. Putting yourself into the community shows that you support us, the community, and by doing so we will support you. Alienation of your customers is one of the worst things that can possibly happen. Hopefully the old brass will retire soon and they will get some forward thinking representatives in the companies we do not see represented here.

darylm74:
I have noticed many people state that they are suprised that manufacturers such as Suunto, Seaquest, ScubaPro, etc. do not have a presence here. The problem is these manufacturers do not believe in Internet sales and from what I have seen, leave their "representation" to LDS's. It is very disturbing that these manufacturers can not spare someone on their staff to take the time to answer questions in a place like ScubaBoard that has a large representation of the dive community. It is just like the discussion about Aqualung removing DiveSports's dealership status and the issues with ScubaPro and ScubaToys. I never saw any representation from these manufacturers except the removal of Phil's thread on the threat of Aqualung suing him. Where are these guys and when are they going to get off there rear ends and contribute to the scuba community and not just to their wallets?

These manufacturers certainly contribute to the SCUBA community, not just by making great products, but also by promoting diving, donating substantial prizes for events such as local underwater pumpkin carving contests and fund-raising activities such as Treasure Hunt dives to benefit Habitat for Humanity and other worthy causes, and educating service techs on how to best service their equipment.

We may not like that they don't choose to sell their brands on-line, but since they have made that decision their presence in this on-line community would definitely invite mostly harsh criticisms and attacks if they did choose to participate here. What PR rep would want the job of signing on here and taking the flak? And what would they stand to gain assuming that they still have no plans to sell gear on-line?

theskull

theskull:
And what would they stand to gain assuming that they still have no plans to sell gear on-line?

theskull

I can't speak for the other manufacturers that actively contribute to scubaboard, but I can assure you that my decision to participate has absolutely nothing to do with whether we allow online sales or not. As posted earlier, there are certainly risks and a time commitment required to participate here, but there are a few key facts that make this a very easy decision to make:

1. The ability to provide answers to diver's questions about our products - from the source and in such a way that is infinately more efficient than handling them one-on-one via the phone or email.

2. The ability to gain very timely and very "real" feedback from people that are using our products in any number of environments and situations.

3. The ability for those considering purchasing our products to see what others that are using them have to say - good or bad.

Real simple. This has nothing to do with where the product is ultimately sold - this is simply a community of divers seeking and providing information related to an activity they enjoy. Would it make any sense for a manufacturer's rep to go to another community of divers - dive store, charter boat, beach, dive show, etc. and stand in a corner ignoring them all? Not to me.

Darylm74,

As a manufacture our customers come first. I am a regular contributor to SB and have been involved in numerous open discussions with direct customers, just ask "Theskull" :D While I keep my keep myself close to the consumers and provide them with whatever information they ask, I am still as equally supportive of my dealer network. We as a company do not like our dealers to engage in heavy internet sales. We allow them to post our products with the intention of having the consumer walk into their store for a hand on demonstration.

I can't speak about other manufactures, but if you contact Manta via phone, e-mail or SB, you will get a prompt reply.

Thanks - Greg

Manta:
Darylm74,

As a manufacture our customers come first. I am a regular contributor to SB and have been involved in numerous open discussions with direct customers, just ask "Theskull" :D . . . I can't speak about other manufactures, but if you contact Manta via phone, e-mail or SB, you will get a prompt reply.

Thanks - Greg

Amen to that! I have contacted Manta by SB, e-mail, & phone a number of times, and always received prompt answers that more than satisfied my questions. Now if I could just convince one of our LDS in town to carry the full line of your products rather than just the spring straps!

BTW--I do love my new Manta Sr. Reel and just ordered another one of your Bob Lines.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom