Lack of "Anti-Internet" Dive Support Mfgs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps the "anti-internet" stigma was a bit broad but that doesn't just mean anti-internet sales. It means they don't get on here (the internet) and contribute the way the rest of the guys do. I for one greatly appreciate reading the responses that are posted. I understand that some of the companies (and we know who I'm talking about) are worried about getting beat up but knowing that they at least get on here and respond to issues helps to solidify their position. Ignoring the issues is not going to make it go away. Netdoc made a point about hearing both sides of the story. I think that is very important and have seen him invite the opposing party to the table on occassion and I think that he has the done the right thing. However, when they start dropping a threat of a law suit instead of getting on here and stating their position then I have to step back and look at the situation. My humble opinion is they need to be more customer oriented and handle the situation. ScubaBoard provides the perfect interface for providers to interface with their customers. Why not take advantage of the situation? What really gets me is that we have high up people in companies taking the time to answer questions. We're not talking PR people. We're talking owners of companies, yet the companies I'm talking about can't even stick a PR guy out there. Who cares if the PR guy gets beat up. That is what he gets paid to do no matter what industry he is in. Not like we're dragging him down the street and tar and feathering him.

theskull:
These manufacturers certainly contribute to the SCUBA community, not just by making great products, but also by promoting diving, donating substantial prizes for events such as local underwater pumpkin carving contests and fund-raising activities such as Treasure Hunt dives to benefit Habitat for Humanity and other worthy causes, and educating service techs on how to best service their equipment.

Hi theskull, what you have stated is correct. Those manufacturers (Suunto, Seaquest, ScubaPro, etc.) DO contribute to the diving community in exactly the way you have described. However, everything you mentioned usually affects only the local diving community.

Scubaboard is global! What better way to contribute to the diving community! And they can participate on Scubaboard from their home or office at their convenience!

When a dive manufacturer answers a question for someone on Scubaboard, they could be answering that question for hundreds maybe thousands of divers, therefore saving time and energy versus answering hundreds of phone calls or emails. It can also be a tool for manufacturers to build a respectable reputation amongst divers.

Don’t get me wrong, the education, events and sponsorships that these manufacturers participate in, is greatly appreciated! I just believe that their efforts can be maximized on Scubaboard by reaching out to a global audience in a way that is more powerful and effective than magazines or any other type of media.

theskull:
We may not like that they don't choose to sell their brands on-line, but since they have made that decision their presence in this on-line community would definitely invite mostly harsh criticisms and attacks if they did choose to participate here. What PR rep would want the job of signing on here and taking the flak? And what would they stand to gain assuming that they still have no plans to sell gear on-line?

theskull

If these manufacturers choose to participate on Scubaboard, bashing will not be allowed!! I believe the divers here will respect and welcome any new manufacturer, just as they have with the ones already here.

Manufacturers have a lot to gain by using Scubaboard. I hope all manufacturers take advantage of the opportunity to participate in the Scubaboard community. :D

Thanks,

Josh

JGraves:
Manufacturers have a lot to gain by using Scubaboard. I hope all manufacturers take advantage of the opportunity to participate in the Scubaboard community. :D

Thanks,

Josh

And this is what I and obviously others would like to see. My thread was based on the fact that others were wondering where these manufacturers were. I love my Apeks regs and my Suunto Mosquito and would like to see these manufacturers participate as much as Oxycheq, Oceanic, Aeris, etc. (I also own an Aeris Atmos Sport, Oxycheq wing, VEO200, etc.). I have no intention on bashing them. They have received enough of that through other threads. I would just like to be able to ask questions about my Apeks / Suunto gear the same as I can my Aeris / Oceanic gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom