Ladders: garelick vs. windline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a new ladder, a 4 step t style. The garelick is about double the price of a windline, and both are rated for 400 pounds. Anyone have experience with one vs the other?

Thanks,
Dan

Mine is the aluminum Garlick, it floats if dropped. My main issue is the non skid will peel off but I am just going to use a non skid paint or truck bedliner paint when they are done for. I don't think either are a lifetime investment but ours is holding up well. If you are over 200 pounds and dive doubles you could push the weight limit on them. Not a problem really for me or my wife.

N

Do you really need a T ladder? do you really need to climb up with your
tanks on?

It's no big deal to take your tank off and clip it off, take your fins off and
toss them in the boat, and climb up a simpler ladder. And if you are
diving doubles, you are getting pretty saturated and should avoid heavy
excercise (like climbing on board with your doubles on) immediately
after a dive.

But I think it would be hard to hit 400 pounds even for a big (say 225)
guy with doubles (say 100 pounds).

I've got 11 years and 2000 dives on a three-step windline telescoping SS
ladder, no regrets, no corrosion, no worries about needing to float (four
bolts attach it).

I just got a 4-step Garelick to replace a 3-step Armstrong. When I get a chance, I'll fabricate a pivoting mount for ir. For the time being, it fits in the Armstrong bracket but will try to float away since it's not a locking bracket. A dockline keeps the sucker in place. The only flaw in the ladder is that it's slippery when wet, but as Nemrod so saliently points out above, a little nonskid paint will fix that.
I also have a 3-step telescoping Windline on the port side. There are no offsets on it to keep it vertical so that's coming off one of these days. I'll probably put the Armstrong ladder there since the Garelick is too long to use with the boat on her trailer.
The Garelick will take whatever weight I throw on it offshore clambering out. I'd ungear before I got on the Windline, and I won't miss it when I deacquire it.

It is nice to be able to step onto the single tube ladder with your fins on and then whilst standing on the ladder remove the fins and toss them onboard. I find it easier most of the time to climb aboard with my tank still on. Then I back up to my leaning post or seats (whichever are installed and gear down with my wife holding my tank. I then secure it back to the Roll Control grips and then assist her with her tank. Very easy even in rough conditions, such as what would be encountered in a 19 foot boat, if it is to rough for me to board in that fashion it is to rough for us to be out most likely.

N

I have both the 4 step stainless steel and the 3 step aluminum Garelick ladders. Both will support your weight wearing doubles no problem, the issue is your mount to your boat. You need to make sure you have a very sturdy mount.

The AL ladder is much lighter and of course floats. This can also be a pain in the arse unless you have a means to lock it down when divers want to climb out.

My Garlick bracket has a cross latch seen in the pic below that locks the ladder in place, it cannot float up or come out until the latch is opened.

DSCF0030.jpg

N

I just purchased a windline 4 step ladder which secures on the transom with a latch catch made for it. It floats, strong as I'm 300lbs. plus diving steel 100's and 120's! Make sure to remove it before changing sites as I found out quickly and now have a "Remove Dive Ladder" on my transom door to remind everyone! Should of seen the tail spraywhen we left site!!!!!!!!!!!! Ladder repaired by nephew who straighten out new curve design and it's working great still. Won't do that again though.............

I have the Garelick 4 step ladder. During a few senior moments I forgot to remove the ladder and wondered why I couldn't get up to speed. I since made a swing up bracket because it is easier than eliminating senior moments. The ladder does float up some but it is not a problem.

I have the Garelick 4 step ladder. During a few senior moments I forgot to remove the ladder and wondered why I couldn't get up to speed. I since made a swing up bracket because it is easier than eliminating senior moments. The ladder does float up some but it is not a problem.

I have twin 150's on my 25' and I to have forgot the ladder, as I take off the engine will cavitate. That means opps, To solve my issue I leave one key in ignition and pull the other out and let it hang. Now when I am ready to start, I think oh, wait I got to bring the ladder in and also take down the dive flag, (Another problem that I see around are area, Dive flags while a boat is on plane.)

Highflier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom