Ladies: What do you wear on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my husband and I have started doing more liveaboard trips in the last couple of years and I'm always debating what to wear. I'm not 25 yrs old and not into wearing a little bikini all by itself around the dive deck before putting on a wetsuit, although if I could find a great cover-up it would be perfect. I used to have a couple of spandex-bathing suit material cover-up dresses that I would wear over a bikini, pull on the wetsuit and then off with the cover-up. That way I always felt less self-conscious. Plus after a dive it is quicker to dry a bikini bottom than shorts.

Problem is I can't seem to find a decent cover-up! Most of them are see-through, or way too short (I like them to at least cover some of my thighs lol).

Only one time on a liveaboard was it warm enough to wear board shorts and a rash guard, but typically I need at least a 3mm shorty especially doing 5 dives/day.

What do you ladies wear on liveaboards? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not a lady, but on every liveaboard I went there was at least a bathroom directly accessible from the diving deck. Most of us, not only ladies, did use it to wear dry clothes (shorts or whatever we need) without any problem. You could take into consideration to use it even donning your wetsuits.
For cover-up, once you are sheltered, you can wear whatever you like and feel appropriate.

Hi, my husband and I have started doing more liveaboard trips in the last couple of years and I'm always debating what to wear. I'm not 25 yrs old and not into wearing a little bikini all by itself around the dive deck before putting on a wetsuit, although if I could find a great cover-up it would be perfect. I used to have a couple of spandex-bathing suit material cover-up dresses that I would wear over a bikini, pull on the wetsuit and then off with the cover-up. That way I always felt less self-conscious. Plus after a dive it is quicker to dry a bikini bottom than shorts.

Problem is I can't seem to find a decent cover-up! Most of them are see-through, or way too short (I like them to at least cover some of my thighs lol).

Only one time on a liveaboard was it warm enough to wear board shorts and a rash guard, but typically I need at least a 3mm shorty especially doing 5 dives/day.

Nothing's more important than having a nice, good-fitting cover-up for a LOB vacation! I always bring 2 of them so that one can be drying while I am wearing the other.

I have found some nice ones made by Dotti offered in a variety of sizes and styles. This isn't the best time of year to buy beach wear but do you have a nice, lingerie store near you? They often carry a wide range of swim suits and cover-ups.

Nothing's more important than having a nice, good-fitting cover-up for a LOB vacation! I always bring 2 of them so that one can be drying while I am wearing the other.

I have found some nice ones made by Dotti offered in a variety of sizes and styles. This isn't the best time of year to buy beach wear but do you have a nice, lingerie store near you? They often carry a wide range of swim suits and cover-ups.

Most lingerie-type stores and on-line catalogs sell cover-ups that are way too skimpy and a lot are see-thru, which I don't want. I used to have a couple of cover-ups that were great - swimsuit-type material, came down about mid-thigh, cap-sleeves and not see-thru. I can't seem to find any like that these days.

How about this one? Good coverage and comes in a good range of sizes.

Women's Cotton Full-zip Cover-up

Do you have a nearby or on line tailor? I have in the past purchased material that was the right weight and had dresses made. This way you can buy online swimsuit material or quick dry thin fabric and pick your own design of cover up.

Most lingerie-type stores and on-line catalogs sell cover-ups that are way too skimpy and a lot are see-thru, which I don't want. I used to have a couple of cover-ups that were great - swimsuit-type material, came down about mid-thigh, cap-sleeves and not see-thru. I can't seem to find any like that these days.

That's not the kind of lingerie store that I was talking about. There is one near me that specializes in getting fitted properly for the right bra and they sell good quality swim suits and cover-ups in a wide range of styles and sizes to meet the preferences of many different women. They will also alter items including swim suits to make they fit right for the individual. They are not cheap but the products and services offered make it worthwhile IMO, and if you could find a similar establishment it might be valuable.

I bought 2 cover-ups from them that are light-weight and quick drying but not see thru and have short loose dolman sleeves and come to mid-thigh. They were about $50 each but well worth it and they have held up well.

They also help women that have had breast cancer surgery get fitted for a bra that works for them, it's a great little place.

Last edited:
I often wear t-shirt type jersey dresses on a liveaboard, which are comfy and multipurpose. It's hard to find the right ones sometimes but they're out there. I don't think finding super quick drying material is essential since you're not getting wet much on the liveaboard, though it probably works out better if they're not 100% cotton. Light and breathable is more important to me - easier to pack, and just being lightweight will help with any drying needed. Recently I found the Lu La Roe "Carly" dresses are great for this. They're a polyester/cotton/rayon blend. You're not even supposed to put those in the dryer after washing, so I hang them and they dry surprisingly quickly.

I take 3-4 bathing suits on a liveaboard so I always have a dry one to change into after a dive. I use the tan-through one pieces, just loop through themselves over a railing and they dry quickly.

As far as using the dive deck bathroom, I've never seen anyone putting on a wetsuit there and not sure why someone would? They're typically small so it would be more awkward and take longer. Not to mention tying it up while people would like to use it for it's intended purpose seems rude.

Back
Top Bottom