Lady Cyana wreck charter question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
a few months ago my LDS (I'm in Texas) sponsored a wreck diving trip with Lady Cyana.......at that time I researched it before deciding not to go......I'd have loved to do some wreck dives, but ultimately decided the cost-benefit ratio wasn't worth it.

My main issue was their position on the tank capacities/types permitted. I dive steels only (LP 85's/LP 120's, HP 120's, HP 130's....and a LP85 twinset). Since I'd have flown there, I'd have to use their tanks.....and was told their biggest tank was an AL80.......moreover, they prohibited me from even bringing any of my steel tanks, even in principle....they believed steel tanks were dangerous!

They were very nice to me on the phone, so I can't complain about their staff....my complaint is with their policy, that it's appropriate to plan wreck dives to 100--130 ft deep, with strong currents possible, with nothing bigger than a single AL80.

I refused to fly to Florida and spend that kind of money on wreck dives with a 5 min bottom time......and was very puzzled by their anti-steel-tank policy......moveover I was told that policy was common among Florida dive operators.

Can anyone confirm for me that the Lady Cyana tank policy is common through out Florida........and why the prohibition on steel tanks.........and why such dives are considered appropriate places for single AL80's?

I have a cynical theory about the policy.........with rediculously short bottom times they can cycle through many groups of divers quickly, minimizing trip times and maximizing profits......am I wrong to see things this way?

Karl

While most Key's operators use AL80, The one's I have used have never had a problem with me bringing my own steel tanks.

Now there are A lot I have not used, so this is only a partial answer. I hope others will also comment.

I can tell you for sure, that getting a "cave" fill on your LP tanks is not gonna happen in the Keys.

I also believe Lady Cyana recently closed up shop. can anyone confirm that?

Sorry to say, tis true. Lady Cyana's is no more. The owner, Gloria, now runs the bakery in Islamorada. If you are wanting to dive in that area, I would suggest going with Conch Republic or Divers City. Never have had a problem using my own steel tanks in the keys.

:rolleyes:

Thanks HarleyDiver! .......there's a scubaboard thread dated 5/22/03 that says Lady Cyana has closed....yet a google search reveals their WWW site is still 'up'.

Glad to hear many FL charters at least allow steels...I didn't really want to argue with them about steels....but they should admit why they're against steels....I doubt steels are dangerous being as popular with the cavers as they are.

Too bad about no cave fills in the Keys........but even if only filled to their 120/130 cu ft official rating, that's still a LOT better than an AL80....I'd have been satisfied with that.

While many Keys operators allow steels, it sounds like they don't really encourage them, as they don't volunteer to provide them for you, although you can bring your own.

Any idea why they don't offer steels on-site? ....or are we still looking at the profit-motive....short bottom times= more profits?

(last month I was in Cozumel--Dive with Martin--and while most divers got AL80's, I special requested and got Scubapro LP95's...and I'm going back to Coz in Oct--Liquid Blue Divers--and the only tanks they have are HP steel 100's and 120's....they seem to think (and I agree) that offering more bottom time is good for business.......I wonder what it is that the some of the Cozumel charters see about steels that the Keys charters don't see?

Karl

I believe it is a cost thing.
AL80's are cheap. Most reef's are shallow enough to get an hour on a AL80, and even on the wrecks, a good diver hits a NDL before OOA on an AL80.

Very few people will let you do tech (deco) diving -

I believe Diver's city does, but only on a boat-load basis.

........guess I'm not a 'good' diver :) ...in Cozumel I always ran out of air well before I got near my NDL......I'm not terrible with air consumption, but I did tend to run out 1st, so my goal isn't deco diving...it's merely to stay down long as the computer says is safe, and as long as the rest of the group.

......I guess I'll steer my tourist dollars towards those locations/charters that have the wisdom/foresight to see things my way.

On the cost front, it would have been cheaper for Lady Cyana to let me dive my steels...they wouldn't even consider that.

I want to enjoy my dives...not stare at my SPG....so I guess I'll stick to diving where I can either use my own steels.......or those places like Cozumel that seem to realize the customer is always right and appreciate my business.

I'd love to give Florida a shot......but it's too much work to resist their bias.....I'll dive where they realize satisfying the customer is the most profitable route.

Karl

I always bring my own tanks, AL 100's. NEver had any problem with them, even at Lady Cyana's. I do know other shops let divers bring their own steel/steel doubles. I dove at Slate's Atlantis over 4th of July and a couple from PA brought their own steel doubles. They won't fit in racks and need to be stored, but they'll definitely let you use them.

Mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom