Laguna Beach Dive Laws

Lifeguards make decisions for divers

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the State of California common sense must be against the law..............

"common sense" is usually neither

I understand some of the reasoning of the suit. The central issue is whether divers should be able to make their own decisions of what equipment to use and under what conditions can they dive.

I understand some of the reasoning of the suit. The central issue is whether divers should be able to make their own decisions of what equipment to use and under what conditions can they dive.

The same reasoning would apply to a license driver driving too fast in heavy traffic or without a safety belt.

That is..

a) Under conditions that generally tend to result a higher chance of people getting hurt.
b) Without using safety equipment that provides no utility most of the time.

Yes... even professional drivers get in accidents. Yes... you want to have a safety belt that ONE time its useful.

Arguably, most of the time you can get away with not crossing all your t's as a diver. But generally, these regulations are there for good, sensical reasons.

Don't like or agree with the law? Work towards changing it.. don't whine about it.

I'm a bit confused here. To get before the 9th Circuit, there must be an appeal from something. That means someone must have lost something. From the court order that was posted in one of the postings in this thread, it looks to me like the plaintiff lost everything except his contention that the cop used excessive force in taking his cell phone. Is that right?

How does an excessive force case impact the dive community -- or am I overlooking something? Wouldn't this have been a "dive" case if it was a challenge to the Laguna Beach ordinance?

Thanks for any answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom