Lake Burton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the thread we had going about lake burton and the town lying beneath the lake?I came across a map with all the structures listed and grid coordinates.There are stores,post office,houses,a mill,graveyard,churches,ect,ect.I am going to plan a dive up there off the boat sometime in the near future,as far as I can tell it shouldnt be too deep as the town was located on the upper side of the lake where the rivers come into it.The water will be very cold as it runs straight out of the mountains.

That would be great! My grandfather and uncle's ashes are in that Lake. My Dad was born the year that lake was built, 1922. I have a picture somewhere of my grandfather holding him near the lake. We use to go up there in the '60s and put out trot lines at night and catch catfish, etc. My Dad learned to swim in that lake.
This sounds like a job for Pinnacle EVO2 Man!! Mine will be here in about a month. Yes, it will be cold. The town's name by the way was Timson. Lake Burton and Lake Burton are connected by Seed Lake. I've only dove near the swim area about 10 years ago to burn some left over air from a trip, so I don't know about the overall clarity of the lake. I know it hasn't been hurt by the drought like Lanier, that's for sure. A very beautiful body of water. You think you're in Canada or Alaska in some places.

I spent a week up there back in the mid 70s,a very beautiful lake.

Don't let me hold you guys up. I don't want to do it until my new Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit comes in which should be by the end of this month, hopefully. I know how cold the streams are up there in the middle of summer. The water that feeds Lake Burton is the Tallulah River. It'll turn you smurf blue in no time, we're talking not cold water, but ICE cold water!

I might have to break out the 7 mill.suit for that one.I might wait for another 4-5 weeks and give the water time to warm up some.

Hey
I never dove in the lake but I swam in it a lot when I was a kid. A friend of the Family lived in a cabin right on the water. I'd say wait a couple of months before it warms up. There used to be really nice fish in there.

That would a good idea to wait until it warms up somewhat, maybe early summer. My wife and I may run up to Clayton, near there, this weekend. We have property outside of Dillard. I'll try to get out to Anchorage marina at Burton and see what the water level looks like. There are some big fish in that lake from what I remember. One thing I do know, boat traffic shouldn't be as bad as Lanier in the summer time.

Hey Mark, I'm really interested in diving a underwater city, let us know when you plan on going, would like to get together and look at the maps you have. I'm leaving town for a couple of weeks, when I get back I'll shoot you a pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom