Lake George

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Guys,

I'll be heading to Lake George (NY) this summer, and was looking for some dive sites. I noticed there were some maps but the links are all dead. Does anyone have any current locations of the actual wrecks, interesting rock walls or formations, etc.?

Thanks,
BC

Good Diving - but boring compared to the ocean...
I dove the Forward and a few of the islands - if you are diving from your boat be careful the lake is full of rocks not sand like the beach.

Halfmoon Marine Services » Dive Site Descriptions

and you are right about the broken links... Let NY fix them and try again in the near future...

Try this - Diving Guidelines for Lake George's Shipwreck Preserves - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/5078.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55492.html

Do you have any nautical maps of Lake George? I have PDF's with depths and locations (using google) that you can use to find the spots you want to dive as well...

Definitely get together with Captain Frank and book a trip on the Halfmoon Explorer.

Good Diving - but boring compared to the ocean...
I dove the Forward and a few of the islands - if you are diving from your boat be careful the lake is full of rocks not sand like the beach.

Halfmoon Marine Services » Dive Site Descriptions

and you are right about the broken links... Let NY fix them and try again in the near future...

Try this - Diving Guidelines for Lake George's Shipwreck Preserves - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/5078.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55492.html

Do you have any nautical maps of Lake George? I have PDF's with depths and locations (using google) that you can use to find the spots you want to dive as well...

I think I have a chart somewhere. Otherwise I'll find one online. Can you send me that pdf? That would be terrific.

BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that some of the wrecks are protected and you need a permit to dive them.

Hearthstone Point State Park has a training area just beyone the swimming area. There is a car, airplane, and boat to the outside of the training area (both left and right. Anthony's Nose has interesting rock formations - like big steps maybe 5-10 feet of horizontal and a step down about 5-10 feet. Not sure how deep they go but they go quite a way down. Lot's of anchors and downrigger balls to be found.

While up there, its not a long haul over to Lake Champlain too.....

Hey guys,

I decided to revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I am getting closer to my Lake George trip, and now that school has settled down for the summer I wanted to put some more time into planning. Thank you all who recommended dive ops, but I think I'll be diving with a buddy out of our private boat.

I have a chart in hand and regular maps of the area. Can anyone please tell me some names of popular dive locations that would correspond to my map? So far I have the following:

Rogers rock (Roger's slide?)
Diamond Point (not sure exactly where this one is yet)
Hearthstone campground (assuming the 30-90' grade in the cove?)

Please keep in mind that I'll be staying on the lake, in the very north, so traveling by boat to the south end will likely be a significant investment in time. Also, if anyone plans on being up there the week following July 4th and want to dive, let me know. I only have a buddy for a couple of days, the rest is looking like solo for me.

Thanks guys.

-BC

Rogers Rock is the most northern point - closest to you if you are in the Northern section - above Glen Islands.
If you are really in the Northern section I would pick Rogers Rock or Glen Islands to dive - maybe Red Rock Bay area - I have heard it may have some good diving - not in the bay but just outside - but I have not dove there.

If you come down south -
Diamond Island - is maybe the 2nd southern most island in Lake George close to Fort William Henry. It is not a compelling dive - but you can find some Lake George crystals if you look and it has a very small attraction with a sunken small boat and some sight seeing (east side of Diamond Island and has a mooring buoy...
Hearthstone is close to Diamond Island - if that is where you are staying it is in the southern part of the lake.

Remember this is a lake - it will be more grey at lower depths than the ocean and devoid of life...

From Roger's Rock it's a short jaunt across to Anthony's Nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom