Lake Huron trip cancelled :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drives me crazy when trips get blown out - happens all too often here. Sometimes it makes you feel like you're being messed with when the weather is great all week, then turns to crap on the weekend. Or when the weather is great for most people (clear skies, sunny), but the wind makes it too choppy to get out. Grr!

I'm so sorry to hear that, especially since I know you were really looking forward to this trip. But sometimes, cancellations and delays are all for the better!

A mild barotrauma on my first dive trip had me move my following dives a week later, as per doctors orders, and meeting really nice people on the boat that gave me a lot of advices and talks of diving Fiji together (someday...).
A storm that didn't allowed me to finish my cavern course turned into a trip to Mexico & Belize a few month later, where I not only finished my cavern course but also did Intro to Cave, and mostly, what I hope will be lifelong friendships.

So I wish you all the best too for your rescheduling ^^

I am majorly saddened and disappointed. My long-awaited Lake Huron trip (Alpena,MI/Thunder Bay) has been blown out. Bad weather forecast for each day - t'storms and high winds. Facing an 8 hour drive each way from the Chicago area, I talked to Capt. Joe of Thunder Bay Scuba this afternoon and we cancelled. Just not safe diving conditions. I know someone who was up there a month ago and got blown out. Thankfully, he knew people in the area to visit. A friend of a friend just got blown out up there today. 6-12 ft waves!

Our hotel rate allowed us to cancel without any penalty (I specifically got a slightly higher rate in order to allow that).

Instead, buddy and I, and possibly a few friends, are hitting DRIS' boats on Saturday and Sunday for 2 mornings of Lake Michigan diving. We're still hitting the Great Lakes, but the boat is only an hour away, plus we're not shelling out hotel $$.

I am sorry to hear that! I was out with DRIS / Double Action a couple weeks ago to go see the Rotarian and the Holly Barge. Really nice trip and got some great shots!

I am sorry to hear that! I was out with DRIS / Double Action a couple weeks ago to go see the Rotarian and the Holly Barge. Really nice trip and got some great shots!

I was out with DRIS earlier this month on the David Dows and the Material Service Barge. This weekend we're doing the Louisville, Car Ferry No 2, Illinois & Holly, and Tacoma. I'll be doing the Wells Burt and the Buccaneer in September. Wreck class will be on the MSB late August.

Well, now even the Lake Michigan dives might be cancelled. Only buddy and I are signed up for both the Sat am and Sun am charters. If we don't get at least 2 more for each trip, boat doesn't go out. :(

So did you get to take your charter?

Lake Huron is blown out again. I was booked on a charter to dive the Glenorchy and Goliath out of Harbor Beach tomorrow, but the forecast is 8-12 ft. waves, with the occasional 15-footer. So Gilboa quarry it is instead. *sigh*.

So did you get to take your charter?

Got out on Lake Michigan Sunday. 3ft waves. I got a little off kilter from it so we only did 1 dive. Water was 74F at 60ft. TOO warm!

I'm supposed to hit the Regina and the Mary Alice B out of Sanilac on the 13th off a private boat. Hope we don't get blown out.

Got out on Lake Michigan Sunday. 3ft waves. I got a little off kilter from it so we only did 1 dive. Water was 74F at 60ft. TOO warm!

Holy cow thats warm!!!! I went just a few weeks ago to the Rotarian and Holly Barge, and the temps at 75 feet was 48 degrees. And that was only 2 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom