Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was diving Sat. got there at 7:30 am air temp. was 48 degrees F. didn't get any better. It got up to 51,52 degrees by late afternoon. Viz. was pritty good 15' +. there was a lot of fish activity . Second dive was over in the cove viz. was a little better in there . It seem to have realy good viz. along the walls 20' to 30' Good dives surface intervals was a diferant thing

air temp 48 to 52 degrees
surface temps 67 degrees
20' to 50' temps 68 to 69 degrees
100' temps 65 degrees
Viz overall was good 15' to 30'
Fish life was good lots of differant fish to see big and small

KEN DIVE SAFE AND HAVE FUN

Were you in a wetsuit? Any trout? I'm going tomorrow.

Yes I was in a 5mm wet suit and hood for the dive over the wall and the second dive I just dove my wet suite You could get away with a 3mm if you go around the junk 50' to 60' Just got a little chilly at around 85' to 90' and below. Hopefully you will get some sun shine for your surface intervale to warm up . have fun dive safe

KEN

Diver's ramp closed until Feb 1st.
Went off the wall with Bill on Saturday. Water was 63 degrees on the surface and 50 @175'.

Graveyard @ 135', 54 degrees F. Surface: 59 degrees F. Air temp at 9am: 27 degrees F.

Sounds like a great dive .How was the viz ?I hope to get up there this month to check out Bill,s heated boat. Thanks for the update. Dive Safe. KEN

Viz was about 9 feet at depth. It had also rained the day before though. Have you been able to go yet?

What site does the plan call for?

What site does the plan call for?

I am still working on the plans actually for the dive on Jan. 23! I will keep you posted!

FireInMyBones,

I think you and I had a discussion about you diving wet, correct? Did you get chilled or cold in your 7 mil? Did you wear a lining or anything with it in that 54 degree water? Do you know an about temp where you started feeling the cold? I know it will be a little different for each person and dive but i am just trying to get a feel for what i am getting into.

I have been in 59 degree water with my 7 mil farmer john and I was warm as a pig in a blanket. I had the normal hood and gloves too. People keep telling me I am going to be cold at Jocassee and to go to Keowee's hot hole.:shakehead: I am just trying to figure out if I should get on the boat at Jocassee instead of the hot hole? I am wondering what temperature I will start feeling the cold! I guess the only way to find out is dump ice in the bath tub and shove a thermometer in it and see when I get cold with my 7 mil on.:rofl3: I guess, I could got to Keowee and go way out away from the "Nuclear heated water:rofl3:" until I get cold.I wonder if the feds are tracking us because I said, "nuclear"! :rofl3:

How I wish I had a drysuit. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom