Lake Lanier 6 May or next weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Lake Juliette today with Jeremy. It was a lot better than I expected. The vis was really pretty good--I'd say at least 10-15', maybe a little more. The water temp was not bad at all either. I believe it was about 77 at the surface and 69 about 30' down. There was a lot of tall grassy spots, but I just pretended I was in the West Coast Kelp forests. I guess this is the Georgia version. I didn't see a whole lot of fish, just some really small ones, but Jeremy said he saw a pretty good size bass. This was my first shore dive from a lake so it was a little messy at first as I got tangled up in the flag tow line. :D After that, I learned where I needed to stay and things went very smooth after that (except I need to work on my buoyancy some). I did pretty good though after a while. I would say this is definitely a good place to go and get wet and blow bubbles. It's only about 20-30 minutes from the Macon Diver's Supply where I had to get my tank, so I can leave home about 9:40, do two dives, and be back home before 4:00. This is what I was looking for...somewhere where I can dive every weekend if I want to without making a major trip. Of course, I will still go here and there, but this is a great short-notice location for us middle-Georgia divers. Jeremy is a very good dive buddy and I felt totally at ease. We hope to get a few more people in this area interested in a day at the lake with a cook-out and all that. I guess we will need a name...Macon Waves, or something catchy like that. Any ideas?

JKSteger:
Cool about Lake Thurmond. I've been wanting to try it out. It's about 2 hours from my house. I say we get with DiveProf and put together a meet and greet dive. DiveProf can tell us where to meet up at and since he is the local dive guru there, he can brief us on the dive and/or lead us on a dive.

What do you say?
J:

This is a great idea too.

Macon Waves !!!!

That's pretty good ! ! ! !

the K

Yep, what Stephi said. We had 2 great dives yesterday. Water was relatvaly warm and pretty clear. We searched and found a deep hole at over 30'. I've never found a "deep" spot in this lake yet but It's a beautiful, clear lake with most of the bottom (In my experience) around 20-25 feet. There is a lot of grass, err...mid-GA kelp! The lake doesn't have much boat traffic and I think it's a great place for the newbie diver to come blow some bubbles and get some experience.

This little lake has some potential. I might start some work on it soon. I'm thinking about cutting trails into the grass then running some lines along the bottom. It's 30 minutes from my house so I can go by often and do some work.

J:

Sounds like fun !!!
Can I come over to your house and play ????? :D

the K

The Kraken:
Sounds like fun !!!
Can I come over to your house and play ????? :D

the K

You can come down and play anytime you want. My house is your house!

J:

The YAF and I would love to do that!

Oh, by the way, The Yellow Angel Fish said that when you complete your D/M course, if you ever elected to become an instructor, she'd love to be one of your students.

the K

Back
Top Bottom