Lake Martin Alabama Dive Locations: Please Share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was born in Everglades City Florida, where I first learned to dive. yes, lots of gators and occasionally a crocadile could be found. I think the worst you have to deal with on Martin is some drunk kids trying to pull your dive flag in the boat and snatch you off the bottom. Keep a dive tool handy just in case. I was diving by the Dixie Sail Club, in about 20 ft of water and a pulled up by a kayaker and his wife!!!

Look for Tom Smeadley in this forum. He was an instructor in a Nitrox class and told me about having to cut his line one time because some kids drove right up to their dive flag, pulled it in the boat and took off. His reel started spinning, and had to cut it!!!

Underwater Town?

I read an article in one of the local magazines about how the lake was formed: After they created the Dam, the river slowly swelled to cover up all of the old town and homes.

The underwater town is where the old Kowaliga Creek used to run and flowed into the Tallapoosa River. There was a small town at the base of this creek where the farmers would cross with horse and buggies while delivering cotton etc. Kowliga creek ran perpendicular to the Kowaliga bridge somewhere in the middle of the open water. So if you where to stand in the middle of the Kowaliga bridge and look back toward chimney rock, you would be looking at the path Kowaliga creek used to take. It is said that the town is in about 80-115 of water and that the town is somewhat intact, and that the old brick post office is still standing. Visibility would be limited and the temperature would be very cold.

I have also heard that there are parts of some old brick homes and foundations east of Real Island Marina on the west side of the lake in about 60 ft of water. Last year I read an article where some divers found part of an old brick fence and wall, but did not say exactly where they found it.

Anyone know of some more exact locations to see parts of the old town and homes?

I first read about it in Lake Martin Living or Lake Martin Magazine, about 2 summers ago. I was blown away. I don't think they were able to get the plane up to the surface because of the 6 ft of mud that covered it. After reading the article, it appeared as though they had salvage rights on the wreckage, and wanted to bring it to the surface and restore it. Seems like it would take hundreds of thousands of dollars to safely bring it to the surface. I have tried to find some of those old articles online, but have had no luck. If they do in fact have salvage rights, would have to contact them to dive it. I would love to get in touch with them and help do some salvage on it.

If the plane was sitting on sand, I am sure they could bring it up, but I have tried to pull stuff out of the muddy bottom before and it got pitch black in a few seconds. Imagine trying to suck enough silt away from the plane, and from the inside of it, to get it up to the surface and then to get it out of the water? I don't see how they could do it.

i have a 20 foot pontoon i got last year if people want to get together sometime. Talk with Aucade he dives often in the lake. PM me if any is interested and maybe we can have a day of it. my boat holds ten but not sure how many people and gear it will hold it is a 20 foot boat. i havent been on lake martin with it yet as i live across the street from lake jordan.

Just let me know, I live by Real Island Marina & my office is not too far from Anchor Bay Marina/Castaway Island. Always ready to do some diving and explore some new places.

I also have a 19 ft kenner, center console, that is good for getting there quick, but is only comfortable for about 3 divers and 1 spotter.

anyone want to plan a get together? dont know what water temp is. get a bunch of tanks and some knowledgable locals and we can do some exploring and treasure hunting. as long as it is sunny and at least in the 70's we should be able to warm up nice between dives.

i just have 4 stroke 70hp yamaha. top speed might be 25mph. but with 24 gallons of fuel i have made about 40 mile trips on i think about half of tank. so if squiresmj wants to blast ahead and scout out some sites we may be able to get good info on traffic before we get there on mine

Sunken boat at Acapulco Rock

Old wood hull cruiser. I have a dive buddy that first told me about it. Can anyone give a little clarification on the location and depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom