Lake Martin Alabama Dive Locations: Please Share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone made a map of Lake Martin marking the dive sites?

I don't know how I ever missed that cruiser with how many times I have dove around the rock, but in my own defense I am usually looking for stuff that people have dropped when diving off the rock or dropped in the water from a boat very close to the rocks.

If I knew how to post one online without making a website, I would do it. I know of a lot of locations within a hundred feet or so.

Here is a good start for Google Earth dive spot pinpoints which I collected and made.

Gulf Diving Home Page

I grew up around Lake Martin and so when I came to visit my family last weekend, my 2 sons and I decided to dive Chimney Rock (yes I know it is actually Acapulco Rock) about 7:00 on Friday morning. We knew the vis would be bad, but we wanted to try it anyway. Until I started reading these posts, I had no idea that there was a boat off of Chicken Rock. I wanted to see it, but it just didn't happen. We went down and found a wicked thermocline at about 24'. We all had 3mm wetsuits, it was still cold. The vis was about 5' so we just couldn't see anything. We got as deep as 49' and stayed down about 15 min before it was just too dark and cold to enjoy since we could see almost nothing. We surfaced briefly to change plans and spent the next 30 min wall diving near the rock. Still couldn't see a lot, but it was much better. We saw a lot of cans and bottles, but nothing worth bringing up. One son had very little air left, but the other and I made a 20 min dive at the old Kawliga Bridge. It was interesting, but we really couldn't see much. We had considered going back to Auburn to fill our tanks, but glad we didn't. I would like to go back to Chimney Rock sometime with someone who has been so I can see the boat. When is the best time to go to maximize visibility? Are there any other good spots on Lake Martin?
IMG_2105.JPG

Back
Top Bottom