Lake Michigan late October/early November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBreezy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm an ex-Michigander who frequently kicks himself in the arse for only learning to dive after moving to Arkansas.

I'm going to be up in NW lower peninsula Michigan late October/early November and was wondering about some diving options. My experience is mostly Caribbean, with the coldest being Arkansas lakes in May, so I'm thinking about taking a drysuit class either while I'm up there or before I go, with a shop I trust well.

The shop I've contacted in Traverse City informs me there aren't many if any charters going out that time of year and it would be very questionable whether I could do a wreck class with them or not. They assure me that there is a good amount of shore diving to be done that time of year, however.

My question - what is there to see from shore in late October/early November is East Lake MI?. I'll be between TC (most likely, haven't booked flights), and Onekama/Manistee region, though could probably travel a little bit for a better experience.

Any insight into shops around the area? Is anyone doing charters in the surrounding area?

Thanks in advance!

This needs to be moved to the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew area for better visibility.

I'm in the Chicago area. There is a reason there were lots of shipwrecks in October and November. The weather is very iffy. Charters are not going to go. Not a lot of dive shops up there. Shore diving is your best chance.

If you've never dived a drysuit before, you need more experience than just a few dives before venturing into Lake Michigan with one, even for a shore dive.

If you're on FB, the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew FB page, would also be a good source.

Great Lakes Wrecking Crew

If take the dry suit class and your comfortable with the function of it, you should be fine doing a shore dive with it.

Thanks for your advice. I had actually tried to pm this to you, Marie, since I'd seen you post so much on Lake MI.

Understand weather concerns from the charter standpoint for sure.

Sounds like my best bet is to learn dry suit down here and proceed if comfortable.

Question remains though - what's to be seen from shore from western/NW lower peninsula this time of year? Any shore-accessible wrecks or other notable features?

Also - tried to join the group but fb is being wonky and won't let me submit the answers to fb invitation survey from phone. Will try from computer later.

Not sure what there is on shore up there. The local dive shop is going to be your best source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom