Lake Minnewanka Vintage Dive Team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just thought this Forum could use some more photo's. Last Sunday Oct21/07 after doing two dives on conventional gear (twin 130's and 2 stage Bottles). My buddy Wayne and I decided to do a Vintage Dive at Lake Minnewanka, near Banff Alberta. This was Wayne's first dive in Vintage gear.

Vintage0223.jpg

Wayne and I posing for quick Picture in the Parking Lot.

Vintage0264.jpg

Getting Ready for the Dive, fellow diver Jeff D. still in tech gear had agreed to accompany us and Carry our spare Air...

Vintage0259.jpg

From Left to right. Wayne, Me and Jeff. Water is a balmy 41 Degrees F. Dive Time 35 Minutes Max Depth 86 ffw.

Vintage0239.jpg

Me taking in the scenery.

I'm hoping to have started something here, I don't think Lake Minnewanka has seen Vintage gear since it was new gear in the early 70's.

Nice pictures. I really like those triples.

I have been to Banff to do some ice climbing and hike some of the near by glaciers. Never thought of it as a dive destination. :11:

I have been to Banff to do some ice climbing and hike some of the near by glaciers. Never thought of it as a dive destination. :11:

Neither do Albertans. :wink:

There are two underwater dam's, an underwater bridge site and an underwater town in that lake though.

Come back out in February and try out the ice climbing followed by ice diving (or visa versa!).

Thank you, I really feel the need to show them off, many thanks again to Victor for such great Bands.

Next time your in Banff let me know, I have extra gear you can use.

There are some great pictures and descriptions at mossmanscuba.com if your interested in Lake Minnewanka Dive locations. If you look at Hawkwood's profile picture I think that he's at the old bridge pilings, the same location we dove to on Sunday.

Now if we can only get JeffG into some Vintage Gear ....:D

I'm sure I'll be able to get him to try it next time he makes the trek down here.

If you look at Hawkwood's profile picture I think that he's at the old bridge pilings, the same location we dove to on Sunday.

Yup, thats me at the pilings - complete with bright yellow snorkel .

Check out these links for information on diving at Minnewanka from the Banff National Park website:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/natcul/Dive_e.pdf

or

Parks Canada - Banff National Park of Canada - Natural Wonders and Cultural Treasures - Diving Lake Minnewanka: Submerged Cultural Resources

Next time your in Banff let me know, I have extra gear you can use.

Thanks, but I get enough cold water where I live. Maybe not that cold all the time, but cold enough. It does look like a nice dive spot.

Warm water is calling me.
In less than two weeks we are heading to Puerto Rico. My old playground. We will be diving places that I haven't seen in over 30 years. There are dive operators now. We are not going to have to find a fisherman that will take us out diving like in the old days. :D We will be able to make two dives and will be back for lunch.

I am actually going to at least one spot that was not really accessible in the past, unless you had a big boat and a long day getting there.

Come back out in February and try out the ice climbing followed by ice diving (or visa versa!).

I may do some ice diving this winter if I have the time. I tend to ski most weekends (my wife and I are volunteer ski patrol). If I come back to Banff it will probably be for skiing.
I see that you are heading to do some warm water diving in Cozumel in 30 days.
Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom