Lake Oconee Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

William Foreman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks I just wanted to let you know I goto Lake Oconee a lot but I have only went diving one time. The only time I dove was just at the shore line at maybe 8 feet deep and the vis was 2 feet (lot of boat traffic and wake) that was last year sometime. Well this 7/4/2006 I went back and I wish I had my gear I just brought my mask since I had no air in my tank (dummy) anyway to make things short, at the dock at my aunts house it was the same thing vis 2 feet but around 6pm we went to watch the fireworks at Great Waters and we got there early so we jumped in for a swim. I had my wife hand me my goggles and I was very surprised that when I put them on and went underwater I can see my whole body so the Vis was at least 6 feet.

I bet in deeper water the vis is good, I'm gonna go a check it out the next time.

Has anyone dove Lake Oconee? Is there anything out there (man made)?

any info will be great

Thanks

:wink: My name is Jason and I have been eager to dive at Lake Oconee. I heard that it is black water there. I haven't been diving since last summer in Cartesville, GA. Let me know if you would like to meet up on the weekend sometime to take a dive. Where is the dive shop there? The dive shop (Ultimate Dive ADventure) where I live has been closed.

There are some old stone factory ruins on the Green County side of the channel at what used to be called "Factory Shoals" (go figure) unless they were demolished when the area was being cleared for the lake. I have no idea at what depth they lie because I don't have a map of the lake.

the K

Hey Yall
I accually dive oconee, sinclair and the river in milledgeville. We have a pretty good group that dive together. As far as Vis.? Kind of like diving off the GA coast. Gotta pick you days just right. We do occasionaly find 15-20' vis. But, beleive it or not, thats in the river below sinclair. The lakes can run up to 10' on a perfect day.

You are brave as Sinclair doesn't seem like a place that I would ever want to dive; And I dive in Lanier and sometimes get 30' of vis during the summer.........

I am a retired public safety diver. I do a lot of treasure hunting and spear fishing.
Gotta really love diving to do what I do. Dont feel bad, not many are suited for it.

I would like to know more about diving at Lake Sinclair and around the area. Whats there? I grew up there and in Macon all my life, but have only really started diving again recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom