Lake Rawlings - Plane Sunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vablackwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

They sunk the plane at Lake Rawlings this past saturday (3/1/08), some cool pics included.

The plane was later moved to a new resting place, but this gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 115
I saw it there in the as yet to be reassembled pieces in November - and I see from the pictures that they never actually but the wings back on. I am guessing that will do nasty things to the stall speed and climb performance.

As an aside, it is an Australian Government Aircraft Factory (***) Nomad. The Nomad was a pretty cool twin turbine engine STOL aircraft that saw some military use and was I think also popular with skydivers.

Cant wait to get there and check this out.

Damn. Just when I thought I was done with Rawlings, they pull me back in! :D

I had heard that the plane was going to be tethered at about 60', suspended in mid-water. That would be very cool. Is that what they have done? Can't wait to see it. I'll be there in early May checking out my new used dry suit.

Mountain Dog

It was put on a plat form. It is 53' to the top of the aircraft. We had a great time "flying it to resting place". I hope Earl get some more pics out soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom