Lake Tahoe Vintage Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish&beer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Several weeks ago duckbill and I went up to Lake Tahoe and did a couple of vintage dives at the high altitude lake. We had a great time diving on a sunken sailboat and I made a video of our little adventure.
Hope you enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;Q-9t3w86wFA]http://youtu.be/Q-9t3w86wFA[/video]

Nice video, and thanks for sharing. That interesting little guy looked like a goby.

Terry, you asked about what type of fish that was which you two followed on the bottom. It was a sculpin, as they are pretty well distributed throughout the Pacific coastal areas in fresh water. The two most likely characters are the coastrange sculpin, Cottus aleuticus (Gilbert) and the prickly sculpin, Cottus asper (Richardson).

I have seen numerous sculpin in both the North Umpqua River and the Clackamas River, where I currently dive. I've included two of my photos of freshwater sculpin. From the photos, and my book Freshwater Fishes of Canada, by W.B. Scott and E.J. Crossman, Bulletin 184, Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Ottawa 1973, pages 820-822, these appear to be the coastrange sculpin, Cottus aleuticus (Gilbert).

By the way, I really enjoyed the video, Jerry.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Sculpin on leaf 05.jpg
    Sculpin on leaf 05.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Sculpin on stick 05.jpg
    Sculpin on stick 05.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 33
Thanks John for identifying that little fish. I didn't realize that there was a fresh water type of sculpin before. I happen to see another one last weekend while diving the Feather River (Oroville) in NorCal along with duckbill. It's always interesting to observe a new fish I haven't seen before after diving all these years.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom