Land based Banda Neira or Alor in Nov??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
As title states I’m planning a trip for November and am looking for any suggestions/recommendations as to which to choose. I’ve done LOB in RA and Komodo over last couple of years but I’m looking at land based this time. Was told that it’s possible to see hammerheads around Banda Neira on day boats around that time of year?? Any experience or advice on the quality of diving in either location would be much appreciated, thanks

I have been to the land resort in Banda and have also gone through there a couple times on LOBs. I enjoyed the diving there both ways, the sites are easily do-able by boats from the resort, and the resort people are nice. We chose the best accommodation on the island, it is not four star, maybe three star.

The ferry we took from Ambon was a problem. Everyone who sat inside had to go through a low passageway about 6 - 10 ft long, one person at a time, (I am tall and crawled on my hands and knees). it took maybe 15 mins to offload all the passengers. All I could think about was the risk of a fire or other emergency. I would never do that again! But I think (not sure) you could sit outside on a covered deck. Anyway, it's not for me.

LOBs are far more expensive of course.

I went through Alor a couple times on LOBs and loved it both times but we only dove in one or two dive sites. I'll tell you how the Alor resort was in about two months.

- Bill

Please consider the Halmahera Sea too. Although we never spot large schools, we frequently meet hammerheads. And the diving in general is wonderful in November: www.wedaresort.com

Thanks very much for your reply Bill. I was warned that the ferry was uncomfortable by someone I shared a with on a LOB. Can you remember how long it took? The dive guide on my RA LOB told me that the ferry can easily be delayed and cancelled and can be unreliable which would be a problem as I need to book onward flights, not sure if you’re aware of this?

Any reason you went with Alor resort? Interesting to know if I decide Alor. Thanks again

Can you remember how long it took? The dive guide on my RA LOB told me that the ferry can easily be delayed and cancelled and can be unreliable which would be a problem as I need to book onward flights, not sure if you’re aware of this?

Any reason you went with Alor resort? Interesting to know if I decide Alor. Thanks again

Hello Mower:

My recollection is that the ferry took something like four hours from Ambon but I'm not too sure. One thing about it that I did like was the ferry terminal, as all the people (99.99% locals) were getting on and off and all the chaos, it was fascinating, and I daresay a lot less risk for someone stealing your luggage than in most parts of the developed world.

I think any transport in Indo is subject to delays and cancellations, watch your SPAM folder!

Heading to Alor Divers because otherwise Luko would never speak to me again! More to the point maybe is that I have some time to kill, it is not so expensive, sounds like great diving, and there is a direct flight now from DPS to Alor (which I learned about on this board - thank you guys!!!) And I remember loving it and swearing that I have to come back when I was there on a LOB. I am probably overdoing it with 10 days though.

Have you considered N. Sulawesi? Also Bali has some great diving. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish -- you asked about two locations, fine -- but maybe you should put a more generalized message on this board?

- Bill

Thanks again for the info Bill.

I've had a look at N.Sulawesi, mainly on the back of comments on this board. I get the impression its best sites are mainly focused on muck diving and smaller critters, apologies if I'm mistaken on that. Whilst I have been growing to appreciate the appeal of the macro world, particularly following the enlightenment of a great guide on a Komodo LOB, its not my number 1 interest. I'd say I'm looking to experience a variety of dive sites from one base, ideally with the potential for bigger fish, schools, pelagics, as well as the smaller stuff to. Yes I'm greedy, but hopeful! I also enjoy the strong currents I've experienced so far in Indo.

Not sure if any of that that sums up your experience of the sites around Banda? Plus what appeals to me is the chance to see hammerheads, bit of a wish list thing.

Maybe Alor offers all that too?? I've been in touch with Alor divers and Blue Motion in Banda, both can just fit me in so I need to reach a decision quickly.

Appreciate your advice, I've spent quite a while reading through some great threads on this board, a recent one '1 month in Indonesia' was very informative and makes me realise I wish I'd started diving there a long time ago!

Thanks again for the info Bill.

I'd say I'm looking to experience a variety of dive sites from one base, ideally with the potential for bigger fish, schools, pelagics, as well as the smaller stuff to.

Honestly, If you are looking for big schools of fish, have already been to Komodo, and are spending the kind of money it takes to come all the way from the UK, why not Raja Ampat? ...or if the goal is big pelagics and sharks look outside of Indonesia at places like Palau or Fiji?

Obviously, I love Indonesia; it is my home. ...but I do not think of it as a "big pelagics" destination.

Thanks matts

I have been to Raja Ampat on a LOB and would happily return. Just thought I try a different place.

Palau and Fiji are certainly places to look though, just wanted to try Indo again.

I spent a week at Alor Divers a few weeks ago and the entire experience was great. I was lucky to be able to book a RT ticket on the NAM air nonstop flight.
I was solo and was in a Deluxe bungalow. It was actually quite luxe. Palm roof, open air bathroom and no a/c but very comfortable. Food was good, and the diving was great. They ask what type of diving you prefer and try to group you accordingly. The guides are a mix of locals and Europeans. All competent.
One dive, a down current sent me about 30 feet down in 2-3 seconds. I didn’t even realize as I was clipping something back onto my BC and I looked around and no one was there anymore. I started up and my DM was already there making sure I went up safely. (Thanks Fred!)

I’m glad I went now. They are building a big terminal at the airport and I imagine, it will get busy soon. Out of 14 dives, we saw another dive boat once.
After coming off a liveaboard and diving 4x/day, the 2 dive average at Alor was a slower pace.

You can dive the house reef (but not solo) and night dives were not really discussed. The house reef is the only option for night dives as boats won’t operate at night.

Back
Top Bottom