Land based travel clothing, shoes, accessories recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're going on a rare non-scuba vacation that will include some walking. I need to pack light; look decent (read "not like an obnoxious American"); and have nice looking walking shoes. Some of you combine scuba and non-scuba activities when vacationing - some of you actually travel to non-scuba destinations (I won't tell!!). What are your recommendations for things to bring and to leave at home? (We're doing a tour and will be on and off a tour bus - one or two nights at a time in each hotel.)

All input is very welcome. :)

Are there such things as non diving vacations?

There are two things that potentially label an individual as an American, other that accent.
1. Clothing.
2. Behaviour.

The other consideration is where you are going, this may make you less or more obvious as an American.

Whilst not a fashion expert, on the clothing front, drop anything that is Hockey, American Football, or Baseball based. Whilst there are other countries that do purchase and wear this type of clothing, it will immediately raise the suspicion that you are American. Baseball caps, now widely worn across the globe, go for non logo, or not football/baseball/hockey, Similarly, American schools, states etc.
Generally speaking, casual smart dress is probably safe. Many Americans think Europeans are significantly smarter in there casual dress sense than most Americans.
I would recommend small backpacks as a day sack. Handbags, something you can put over your shoulder that has zips to close - reduces the risk of pickpockets or people doing a grab and run.
Comfortable walking shoes, you may well find you do an awful lot of walking. Even in big Cities, walking means you see more than if you travel on the underground, or other public transport.

The negative image of Americans overseas, are loud, abrasive, brash. Whilst this is not fair, like many stereotypes, there is more than a grain of truth in this.

Knowing the local culture is helpful. In the USA tipping is a cultural norm, a requirement. In other countries this may not be the case. In the UK, tipping is not so prevalent. Service charges are added to a restaurant bill automatically, tipping is an extra for good service. Eating in a pub, you would not normally tip. Pub's are self service not waiter service, you order at the bar, if you sit down and wait for some one to take your order...you are going to be thirsty and hungry!

It might be worth doing some Youtube research of your destination.
You where non specific in your destination.

Gareth

Additional Thoughts - added after original post.

Please also be aware, some countries and cultures are not as relaxed as the USA.
1. Discussing religion or promoting Christianity may well be reacted to as if you where spying!
2. Not being married, same gender relationships etc are illegal in some parts of the world.
3. Alcohol is also illegal in some countries, as are some non prescription drugs - if you are taking any drugs check this before you travel. Also, prescription drugs, ensure you have full doctors paperwork prior to travelling.

Another thought.
Some places like Churches or other religious building require you to dress appropriately if you intend to enter. As an example, Malta, a mainly Catholic country, long trousers, and a shirt is considered appropriate dress, shorts, T-shirt are not!

Whichever way you might want to aditionally de-americanize that look if you deem that necessary, I think Rick Steeves is right on with a lot of his travel advise... as well as packing light.
Packing Tips | Rick Steves Travel Tips

Go to REI or similar and buy some of their quick-drying clothing. Take less clothes, wash them in the sink at night with some Dr. Bronner’s. You can go indefinitely on 2-3 pairs of undies, socks, shirts, and pants. It’s super easy if you get a Scrubba wash bag, which also conveniently doubles as a dry-bag.

This minimizes the amount of stuff you need to carry, makes it very small to pack, easy to maintain, and generally more enjoyable since you can fit all of that plus some in a backpack.

I travel for a living and can live out of a max carry-on backpack (I use a Tortuga) indefinitely, even with other sundry items.

Personally I like the Dr. Bronners stuff. It’s useful as shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent, and dish soap. It makes it easy to carry just one bottle of stuff to deal with.

Get packing cubes and compartmentalize. They’re super useful.

Bring bug spray if you’re going someplace in the tropical areas. Get Off! Deep Woods. More DEET=better. You can just as easily get malaria or dengue in the city as you can in the jungle.

You didn’t mention where you’re headed, but this advice works pretty well for everywhere but cold places. In which case why would you want to go somewhere cold? That’s a terrible idea.

^^^ all that ^^^

Hmmm...
Scrubba wash bag (new to me)
interesting albeit a bit costly. Have a few drybags just like that... minus the flexible washboard... Maybe need to do an experiment.... or just get the real deal...

If you are going anywhere in the tropics I suggest carrying an umbrella. I even carry a small towel, just in case. In some countries many locals wear a small backpack when walking so for me that's a good place to keep the umbrella and towel, plus a bottle of water. If it's hot or sunny, wear a hat.

The first time I went to Mexico I attempted to dress like a local. They spotted me 1/2 mile away. Now I wear a tourist T-shirt and they speak to me in Spanish first instead of English. Go figure. Somehow I now "look like" I speak Spanish. Yesterday at a grocery store my girlfriend picked out someone who "looked like" she spoke English. She did (from Canada). It beats me how you can tell, and the surprising part is that I'm actually understanding most of what people are telling me. The vendors, however, still start out at their highest prices so perhaps they do that no matter who it is they are trying to sell to. My girlfriend's theory is I look comfortable in my surroundings so therefore I must speak Spanish. I have noticed that the time-share people no longer approach me.

I should add, an ultralight rain jacket from a place like Luke’s Ultralight is super packable and worth it’s weight in gold. They’re a little more expensive, and a little less durable, but you can fit them in a stuff sack half the size of a coke can, and they weigh virtually nothing.

I’ve found the best way to travel is to take a lot of cues from the ultralight hiking community. There’s no need to go as ridiculously minimal as they do, but they’ve driven some pretty interesting technologies and ideas that work out really well for the minimally-minded traveler.

Thanks - and keep it coming! We're doing a 16 day tour of Portugal, Spain and Morocco in the beginning of May. Because we'll be as far north as Madrid and as far south as Marrakesh I know we'll have to layer our clothing (and I won't need any sun dresses that time of year). I'm looking for that perfect shoe that will go with just about anything and feel great. Have any of you gotten the exofficio underwear or other items? I'm planning to wash stuff in hotel sinks and want it to dry quickly. I haven't used Bronner's - but will be looking it up.

^^^ all that ^^^

Hmmm...
Scrubba wash bag (new to me)
interesting albeit a bit costly. Have a few drybags just like that... minus the flexible washboard... Maybe need to do an experiment.... or just get the real deal...

I bought one recently. I love it and also have drybags. It was popular and folks borrowed it. It was perfect for hotels and liveaboard. I used Dr. Bronner’s castille (almond!) soap as my laundry detergent. I also bought a Sea to Summit clothespin-less drying line. That was also popular. In short, my trip was about 26 days and I took 4 pairs of underwear, 4 swimsuits, 3 pairs of socks, and 3 shirts and 3 bottoms. You do the math... :) But technically, that’s 9 outfits!

@Kimela - I work in the outdoor industry and actually purchase all the travel and technical/hike/snow apparel for our company so I’m the right person to ask! :) I travel a lot myself and have lots of recommendations but it would depend largely on where you’re going and what you’re doing. In general, I prefer synthetic or wool clothing. They launder quickly and dry quickly, or in the case of wool, it launders quickly and dries quickly but keeps you cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather. It also doesn’t stink so you can wear it multiple times without washing and no one would be the wiser. It isn’t your grandmothers’s wool but super fine merino - not itchy and I am super sensitive to it. The only exception is in super hot desert weather like the Middle East. Cotton and linen is actually cooler and more breathable than synthetics. I no longer wear cotton socks - Smartwool socks are expensive but are so amazing.

If I travel to buggy places, I always travel with Insect Shield clothing. ExOfficio has their BugsAway line - no spray needed and they don’t bite through. I only apply picaridin (natrapel) to areas that aren’t covered or if it’s too hot to wear long pants or sleeves.

A light cardigan/wrap/jacket that you can use on plane and also wear as a top to keep covered in conservative countries or blasting AC is always great.

If you use any OTC or prescription drugs, always have a list with dosage and amounts noted from your doctor mentioning your need for it. I always have a little pouch that I throw into day bags, beach bags, etc. that has meds I might want wherever I go that I can easily transfer. Painkiller, upset tummy, itch cream, etc.

Bring a bag as a carry on that can also double as a day bag for your land tours, whether that is a tote or backpack, etc.

If you use tampons and pads, I highly suggest trying a cup. It changes everything when traveling and diving...no more accidents before you expect it and no more trolling for supplies.

Thanks - and keep it coming! We're doing a 16 day tour of Portugal, Spain and Morocco in the beginning of May. Because we'll be as far north as Madrid and as far south as Marrakesh I know we'll have to layer our clothing (and I won't need any sun dresses that time of year). I'm looking for that perfect shoe that will go with just about anything and feel great. Have any of you gotten the exofficio underwear or other items? I'm planning to wash stuff in hotel sinks and want it to dry quickly. I haven't used Bronner's - but will be looking it up.

I find the women’s exo underwear runs really big and tends to bag out as well so I’m not a fan of it. I prefer Patagonia’s underwear. I would look at some Teva or Merrell shoe options.

You can bring a light rain jacket (a dressier one is fine like a street rain jacket) that can handle rain and/or wind. Columbia makes nicely priced ones. If you want something more outdoor hike travel oriented then Patagonia, the north face, marmot, etc. all make good options as well.

I recently went to Egypt and Jordan. I was on a liveaboard for 2 weeks but was on land doing tours for about a week and a half week diving from land. I drank tap water......and didn’t get sick. I saved a bunch of plastic by not buying bottled water. I travel a lot with the Steripen. It’s UV light that you treat 500mL or 1L of water at a time. It basically messes up the DNA of the bacteria and virus in the water so that they can’t get married, have kids, and make you sick. And it works.

Back
Top Bottom