Lands End vs Sueno Del Mar vs Other (+ dive shop rec?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m doing a last-minute trip to Roatan June 16-25 and would appreciate some input. I’m a 28 yo female traveling solo.

I’d like to stay somewhere I can relax in a hammock by the ocean, preferably from a private ocean view room, and are walking distance to nightlife. I’d also like a hotel, dive shop, or both where I’m likely to meet other solo people my age to hang out with.

Looks like Lands End and Sueno Del Mar check the lodging boxes in my budget. Any others, and any thoughts on those two?

Also which dive shop would you use? I value long bottom times, small groups, good dive guides, and a social vibe.

Thanks!

Sueno might work as they have a small beach and bar there. It's a little east of the active part of the West End. There was a volleyball net IIRC but nobody playing. I stopped by mid-afternoon once (diveshop) and there were a couple guests there.

Lands End is kind of remote - I rent a house next door and it's a 5-10 min. walk to town - most of the nightlife is a few minutes farther west - there I would guess your only company would be fellow guests. Cocolobo next door also but it's more expensive. Look on a map - many of the bars are around the water taxi dock in town slightly east of the main road in..

We like Coconut Tree Divers but their cabins are in a quieter area behind their building although IIRC some had hammocks. My friends stayed there so I've seen inside 3 of them. Larger units have full size appliances.

I don't know it but maybe look at Splash Inn - which also has a dive operation. I walked by their streetront bar one evening and there was a decent crowd.

A nice place to chill/meet people is Sundowner's beach bar - on the west side of Half Moon Bay Beach. Chairs you can plant at the water's edge, decent food/prices. Pay in lempira if you can - they have a lousy exchange rate. Sometimes a singer. Some on Trip Advisor call it the best beach bar in the Caribbean - it's not. They close early most nights so you have later options just down the street.

The other meet spot afaik is Fosters bar further down if it's sill open. Booty Bar was another active spot. I've only been by both at night. You'll pretty much know where the crowd is currently by the music as you walk by - everybody walks there.

I tthink there's a resort behind Booty Bar but IDK which one. That can be good or bad when the music cranks up. From the patio of my house - the sound occasionally drifts over at night but the water crashing against the ironshore muffles a lot of it. Lands End would be even quieter as it's a little further east around the point.

If the budget is really tight the Chillies hostel looked decent - in a good location just off the main road into the West End - all the nightltife starts about a block west. Native Sons is owned by the same family - one nice sized boat. And they're not afraid to burn a little gas to the best sites from what I was told - including around to Mary's Place on the southwest side once a week.

We like to pub crawl after diving so most nights were pretty liquid. On Friday two of our CTDivers DM's graduated - it's good to go pit with people who live there. There was a block of ice, a funnel and several bottles involved...details are still hazy. Our average age is closer to 50 than 20 though - but all the DM's are mostly 20-something. Can't go wrong with a place that has an honor beer bar on their deck post dives.

One last thought - Posada Arco Iris - is just east of the main part of the West End. I believe all their rooms have balconies/hammocks but the buildings are perpendicular to the road so you'd be looking thru any units in front of yours to the water. And Argentinean Grille fronts it. I mention it because IIRC a 1br apt w/small kitchen is around $50. They have chairs across the street in a reserved for guests area of the beach. Right across the street from Sundowners also.

Last edited:
I’m doing a last-minute trip to Roatan June 16-25 and would appreciate some input. I’m a 28 yo female traveling solo.

I’d like to stay somewhere I can relax in a hammock by the ocean, preferably from a private ocean view room, and are walking distance to nightlife. I’d also like a hotel, dive shop, or both where I’m likely to meet other solo people my age to hang out with.

Looks like Lands End and Sueno Del Mar check the lodging boxes in my budget. Any others, and any thoughts on those two?

Also which dive shop would you use? I value long bottom times, small groups, good dive guides, and a social vibe.

Thanks!
A tough combination. Sueno has the hammock and the private ocean view. But not many people diving there now sadly. And those that do don't tend to be your age - maybe a decade or two older. But Tita's on the property serves great food and drinks. The quality of the food is excellent and while the menu is a bit light, she will also custom make things for you. I can't comment on Land's End rooms/quiet but if I'm not mistaken, there is no sandy beach - the shore is volcanic rock there. As @diversteve mentioned, Splash Inn is a nice place with a dive shop (and if I'm not mistaken breakfast is included in their rooms) although maybe not the hammock with the ocean view but it is at the quieter end of town. But there will be a bigger group of people who are more your age. I think the most "happening" place is Coconut Tree (and I have no problem recommending them even though I dive with Island) where you will find people in your age group, but definitely not quiet. West End Divers is also one that seems attracts a more hip crowd - and I've heard lots of good things about them.

Maybe a mix and match - a place to stay and a place to dive?

Goof point - Land's Emd, Seagrape Plantation and Cocolobo are all fronted by 6-8' high ironshore cliffs. Threre's a tiny beahc there - I think on one end of the Seagrape property - which also has a pool IIRC - or it's Cocolobo's. Seagrape also has a dive operation on-site and boats - the others require a walk into town to their recommended shops. Cocolobo also serves breakfast/lunch but not dinner and is a pricier upscale option.

My recommendation is to also find a place to stay and a place to dive. I love West End Divers but have heard that Coconut Tree Divers are pretty good about getting their divers socializing.

They are up towards Sundowner's though so if you chose to stay at Sueno del Mar (for example), that would be a bit of a hike in the morning.

Take a look at Lost Paradise for a place to stay. Make sure you get a unit fronting on the beach waterside.

Do not select Crystal.

Take a look at Lost Paradise for a place to stay. Do not select Crystal.

Nooooooooooo, please don't recommend them. I'm having a hard time booking my dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom