Lanta + Phiphi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How to share a week between Koh lanta & Phiphi without loosing a dive Day?? ( 4 days Lanta/ 2 days Phiphi )?? Or would it be better to do that part of Thailand from a live aboard??

Bonjour -

Was in Ko Lanta in November 2004. There is plenty of dive operators in the main town of Ben Saladin, the "capital" of the island. They all did 2 dive day trips to the dive spots off the Phi Phis. I joined one of them, it is like a 2 hour sail, and it was fun. Definitely not spectacular diving, but nice enough. Not sure whether the sites are still worthwile post tsunami.

The much better dive site in the area is Red Rock (i forgot the Thai name, Hin Deang or something - too lazy to look it up, es dimanche non). It is a rock in the middle of the Andaman Sea, four hour sail from Ben Saladin. We went there with a big boat with may be 30 divers, good fun. Good chance to spot manta's - the first group in when i was there indeed saw one.

If you want to stay on both islands I guess you can take the early morning ferry and do not lose any day diving (there was at the time a connecting ferry from phiphi to Phuket). We had a fantastic time in the southern part of Lanta, maybe 30 min ride from the main town. The Narima Bay, very friendly people. If you travel with a non-diving female companying, you can leave her behind at the Narima not feeling guilty, which is a piece of mind i like when enjoying myself u/w and knowing the lady is comfi as well. And the good thing is they have their own dive shop through which you can arrange everything - no stress for you, let them work it out.

Let me know if you have further questions, ciao.

Arie

Hello again Hallboy.

In my opinion, you won't have too many problems with your plan. Dive operators in Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi pretty much dive the same sites. And many of them are actually closer to Koh Lanta than to Koh Phi Phi. While Phi Phi is a lot of fun, I've found that I much prefer Koh Lanta, which has all the same perks but is less expensive and less crowded.

However, if you are determined to go to both, and it's true that the beach on Koh Phi Phi Lay is lovely, then I wouldn't be too worried about taking it all in.

In three days you could do day trips to the top three destinations in the area and then either head back to your favorites (no doubt Hin Daeng and Hin Muang) and then dive Phi Phi Locally. The Cathedral is quite nice! Another option is to stay in Phra Ao Nang and do those local divers or even on Rai Lay. Boats ply back between these locations and Koh Lanta daily.

I went diving with two operations on Koh Lanta last year and investigated many more. Lanta Divers was by far the superior--with great boats, a very professional staff, and excellent food (Loved the breakfast, lunch and afternoon snacks every time). Stayed on Long Beach in Lanta, which was the best mix of beach, party, and relaxation. Not too far from the main town either, which is helpful for early morning dive trips as well as late nights out.

Have a wonderful time!
Hapadiver

Personally I like the dive sites near Phi Phi. They are more relaxing and have lots of marine life. I love surfacing near one of the Bida island. Do a night dive too.

The main dive attractions in Koh Lanta are the wreck dive and the mantas. It's worth it, but the currents are strong and so could the surge. I got sick big time on the way to the wreck. So make sure you take some seasickness pills.

I am going back to do a liveaboard on the last week of Feb and then head to Phi Phi on the first week of March. When you going?

I agree with hapadiver; Lanta Divers are a top quality outfit - the most professional I have come across so far. I dived with them over Chistmas and New Year just gone. Definitely worthwhile - saw lots of manta rays at Hin Daeng. Personally, I didn't really like the island of Ko Lanta - maybe it was the time of year but it's a nice and easy enough place to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom