Lanta: Tail of Two Dive Ops - Amazing Guide Khun Pop Sitthikorn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently spent two days diving in Lanta. Have been diving Andaman Sea since 1993, but now just do it as fund dives to break up beach trips. Two very different experiences.

Blue Water: 3 tank trip to Hin Deang Hin Muang on their fancy new high speed Catamaran. This boat is not only really nice, but most sincerely very nice. It is gorgeous, comfortable, and functional. The services and space felt more like a liveaboard than a day trip. The boat is new and has so many places to hang out - sit in sun, sit in shade, lie down in sun or shade, work at tables, etc. It has really nice bathrooms with showers. The kitchen was nice and they had amazing breakfast with freshly made food. Probably one of nicest day trip experiences I have had. It is also quite fast - so you can go far. But, that said, there are a lot of dive ops on board, lots of 'rent a guides', and had a very dive manufactory feel. Our guide sorta knew the sites, but did not know the boat procedures so came up in the wrong place, cut our dive time unnecessarily, etc. She also pointed nothing out to us except maybe a clown fish. But, the above water experience really made up for it. Not cheap but was very worth it.

Lanta Divers: 3 tank trip to Koh Ha. Based on some research on this site, I asked if Khun Pop Sitthikorn was diving and we asked to be put in his group. He was a SUPERB guide. I would highly recommend him. It really clarified to me how a great dive guide can turn an ordinary reef into an extraordinary experience. He was as good as private guides I have had in Anilao or Porto Galera. He not only spotted, but sought out things, including half dozen sharks, dozen rays, dozen varieties of nudis (not the common ones regularly seen), turtles, seahorses, and lots of other things. He was very safe, communicative, observant, and kept an eye on the group. At the end of the dive, he spotted whale sharks out of the corner of his eyes, and got permission to lead some of us back in to swim with them. But for him we would not have seen them. After the dive, he had an ipad where he showed the group what we had seen and what we might see on the next one. Many his own photos. Really top notch private guide style knowledge and input. And it was clear he was enjoying showing us his country's ocean as we were seeing it. I recommend hiring him as a private guide if you can. Here is his info on Fbook.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003555605843&sk=wall

If I had to do it over again, ideally you would get Khun Pop as your guide on the fancy Cat.... that would be amazing and I would be willing to do 3 to 5 days with Khun Pop. Again, a great guide like him can bring to life almost any site. We dived the exact same spot with both ops above, and the one with Khun Pop was a world class experience whereas the day before it was pretty, but nothing to write about. But in the end, the experience is all about diving and the Lanta Divers boats were very solid, safe, and comfortable enough.

Recently spent two days diving in Lanta. Have been diving Andaman Sea since 1993, but now just do it as fund dives to break up beach trips. Two very different experiences.

Blue Water: 3 tank trip to Hin Deang Hin Muang on their fancy new high speed Catamaran. This boat is not only really nice, but most sincerely very nice. It is gorgeous, comfortable, and functional. The services and space felt more like a liveaboard than a day trip. The boat is new and has so many places to hang out - sit in sun, sit in shade, lie down in sun or shade, work at tables, etc. It has really nice bathrooms with showers. The kitchen was nice and they had amazing breakfast with freshly made food. Probably one of nicest day trip experiences I have had. It is also quite fast - so you can go far. But, that said, there are a lot of dive ops on board, lots of 'rent a guides', and had a very dive manufactory feel. Our guide sorta knew the sites, but did not know the boat procedures so came up in the wrong place, cut our dive time unnecessarily, etc. She also pointed nothing out to us except maybe a clown fish. But, the above water experience really made up for it. Not cheap but was very worth it.

Lanta Divers: 3 tank trip to Koh Ha. Based on some research on this site, I asked if Khun Pop Sitthikorn was diving and we asked to be put in his group. He was a SUPERB guide. I would highly recommend him. It really clarified to me how a great dive guide can turn an ordinary reef into an extraordinary experience. He was as good as private guides I have had in Anilao or Porto Galera. He not only spotted, but sought out things, including half dozen sharks, dozen rays, dozen varieties of nudis (not the common ones regularly seen), turtles, seahorses, and lots of other things. He was very safe, communicative, observant, and kept an eye on the group. At the end of the dive, he spotted whale sharks out of the corner of his eyes, and got permission to lead some of us back in to swim with them. But for him we would not have seen them. After the dive, he had an ipad where he showed the group what we had seen and what we might see on the next one. Many his own photos. Really top notch private guide style knowledge and input. And it was clear he was enjoying showing us his country's ocean as we were seeing it. I recommend hiring him as a private guide if you can. Here is his info on Fbook.

If I had to do it over again, ideally you would get Khun Pop as your guide on the fancy Cat.... that would be amazing and I would be willing to do 3 to 5 days with Khun Pop. Again, a great guide like him can bring to life almost any site. We dived the exact same spot with both ops above, and the one with Khun Pop was a world class experience whereas the day before it was pretty, but nothing to write about. But in the end, the experience is all about diving and the Lanta Divers boats were very solid, safe, and comfortable enough.

Sounds great! How much does that day trip cost, please?

It was the end of the season, so I was put on a Lanta Divers boat and met Khun Pop. Though I didn't dive with him, he was great topside.

As for diving with Khun Pop on the fancy Cat, try the end of the season. I was put on the fancy Cat two, maybe three, times because it was the boat going out that day. The dive shops pool resources at the end of the season and you randomly get lucky with the boat. :)

Thailand is bad for guides that just think that they are too cool to spot things, despite the fact that guests have flown halfway around the world to see cool things.We went to Thailand at Christmas and had this on two of ten diving days, so it could have been worse but was a little annoying at the time.

We had an excellent Thai guide on the Hin Daeng day trip.We didn’t see any mantas but saw more than in those two dives than we saw on six or so other day trips. A lot is to do with the culture in the dive shop. On one island the owner regularly guided there were had a couple of DMTs who were already very good divers and the instructors took great pride in their spotting ability.

Try diving with Khun Pop who is amazing!
Where would one expect to find Khun Pop leading dives in January and February?

Sounds great! How much does that day trip cost, please?
Two examples:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom