Lantern v. Pistol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why?

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

And, in the end, am I wrong in assuming it just personal preferece or are there specific uses for each?

saying once bubbled...
Why?

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

And, in the end, am I wrong in assuming it just personal preferece or are there specific uses for each?

Lanterns are good for illuminating the sidewalk at night and pistols are better suited for knocking over liquor stores.

cornfed once bubbled...

pistols are better suited for knocking over liquor stores.

"Just give him the money, man. That thing is 18 Watts. You ever see what that'll do to your eyes?!?"

Just a different wrist position. However if you ever plan to do cavern or wreck go with a lantern grip. A pistol grip does not work well with a reel.

Of course if money is no object, best bet is a canister light....

Personal the canister and the light on the hand seems like the best idea. It places the light where you need it and removes the weight to your hips.

But not all of us can afford such or have tried to DIY one yet.

The pistol seems to be heavy after a while and I now hold it upside down, with the light under the hand, more comfortable.

Personal I prefer a touch with an easy to grip body that is easy to move around something like an SL6 i find is good.

You lose the use of a hand and it's bulky.
Lantern has same problem, different grip
Burn times suck.

Go canister.

I couldn't decide, so I went with the Pelican Aqua-King that has a handle that can be attached as a lantern or pistol grip. I feel I'll use both configurations for different types of diving.

The pistol grips does get uncomfortable sometimes but I just hold it upside down

I agree with sting ray... I like the lantern grip:wink: .

(Keep your stick on the ice:D )

Some pros and cons I can see with both:

Lantern grip pros
- Less tiring to carry big light. This holds even more true on land.
- Still have limited use of hand holding light.
Lantern grip cons
- Difficult to hold light in front of you.

Pistol grip pros
- Easier to point at objects.
- Wrist position is more natural when holding the light out in front.
Pistol grip cons
- A little more tiring to carry.
- You lose the use of that hand.

I have a UK D8 which is pretty heavy for a handheld light. (8 D cells!)
I originally got a lantern grip because I thought that I would at least have partial use of my hand while holding the light.

After a few dives with it, I discovered that I was using the lantern grip as a suboptimal pistol grip, because it was better that way.
I therefore got a pistol grip for the D8 and now am much happier. If you can, try both out before you choose. FYI, I've personally seen more people prefer the pistol grip over the lantern grip.

As an aside, I would really like to try out a canister light, but they're way out of my price range at this moment.

Q: Hey, I'm out to buy my first car with the money I saved flipping burgers. Which is faster, a Civic or a Focus?
A: They're both crap! Get a Ferrarri 360!
Q: :confused:

Sorry.. couldn't resist.. :D
(Although to be fair most people did mention the cost factor..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom