Laser Surgery on Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lloyd once bubbled...
check out : www.surgicaleyes.org

I checked out the website and I can understand some of the frustration of some Lasik/Lazer surgery patients. I have blurry vision close up, I will porbably have to wear cheaters for reading in the near future, ( I was close to bifocals before anyway ) my night vision is no worse than before and my distance is better than it was with glasses on......I find my vision gets better as the day goes on. I would suspect some of the unsuccesful surgerys were done by Drs. trying to make buck wihtout regard of the patient outcome and/or the patient having unrealistic expectations................

Back to original question; At diving medicine conferences, it was established that the Navy originally had some concerns but now does not restrict divers who have had LASIK or PRK once they are healed.

That's as good as the medical data gets. It came from a Navy Ophthalmologist who works with the Experimental Diving Unit.

My experience with patients who have had it is that most are ecstatically happy. a few are not satisfied.

The proportions of each seem similar to any other surgical procedure. Nothing is perfect. If the benefit is worth the slight risk to you, then thank God we live in a free country and get to choose.

Dive happy and see clearly,
John

The clinic I am in serves patients who have had poor results from other Dr.s. Even with the best MD, it is possible to have really bad outcomes. There is an approx. 5-10% complication rate with LASIK. You need to know that the flap will never adhere as strongly to the cornea and can be dislodged years later. If the risk seems ok, pick a good Dr who has done alot of procedures.
Lloyd

:)

I had the surgery in Nov. 2001. It took 15 minutes. I got up, read the clock without glasses, shook hands with the doc and drove home to watch football.
ABSOLUTELY the best thing I have ever done. It's like a miracle. Sometimes I still can't believe I don't wear glasses anymore. I went from 20/350 to 20/15 in 15 minutes.
Started diving 3 months later and was AOW & Rescue 9 months later.

DO IT!!!!!

First of all...My doctor had the surgery and dives. He strongly suggests 2 weeks before swimming and one month before diving.

To the good part.

Do you ever forget you Don't have glasses on any more and try to take them off as you crawl into bed. Scratch or rub your eye by running you finger sideways behind the glasses that are not really there? Attempt to take them off to get into the shower?I wore glasses for so long that I forget every once in a while

Yes to all of those things. Best $3200 I ever spent!:D

Hello

I've heard that laser surgery is great while your young and does wonders for poor vision, but on the other hand I have also heard that there could be some side effect to the eyes as you age. Laser surgery I'm told is still an experiment and is fround upon by opthamologist.:mean:

:mean:

I was 61 when I had it done. The same outfit did Tiger Woods.

To add to whats already been said, laser eye surgery is not suitable for everyone. It would probably be a good idea to have a good ophthalmologist, whose primary incentive is not necessarily performing the surgery, make the diagnosis as to suitability, or get a second opinion.

Back
Top Bottom