Last minute L.A. to Palau/RA/Derawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a long time casual resort diver looking to visit an indopacific site in May/June/July. I have some time on my hands between gigs so it seems like a good use of the flexibility.

I'd like diversity in the diving - reef-y stuff, sharks, pelagics. I am not a deeply experienced diver despite doing it since 1993 so nothing overly challenging. I won't have a built in buddy so the idea of tagging along with a guide is attractive too. Ideally it would be a 7 night trip.

My first instinct was Palau but then rotated to Raja Ampat after some research. Trying to latch on to a last minute single (wife is not able to join) for a trip in May is proving a bit of a challenge, particularly for a shorter itinerary. I am looking for a higher end type operation - no weird dorm bunks / sleeping on the deck / dodgy operations. Safety is a pri0 requirement.

The Aggressor trips are longer and switch to Komodo in May/June then Derawan. The Pearl of Papua runs 7 night trips but appears to have mixed reviews.

1) Any thoughts on those destinations relative to each other?

2) Recommendations / opinions on LA operators in Indonesia?

Hi,

I am a long time casual resort diver looking to visit an indopacific site in May/June/July. I have some time on my hands between gigs so it seems like a good use of the flexibility.

I'd like diversity in the diving - reef-y stuff, sharks, pelagics. I am not a deeply experienced diver despite doing it since 1993 so nothing overly challenging. I won't have a built in buddy so the idea of tagging along with a guide is attractive too. Ideally it would be a 7 night trip.

My first instinct was Palau but then rotated to Raja Ampat after some research. Trying to latch on to a last minute single (wife is not able to join) for a trip in May is proving a bit of a challenge, particularly for a shorter itinerary. I am looking for a higher end type operation - no weird dorm bunks / sleeping on the deck / dodgy operations. Safety is a pri0 requirement.

The Aggressor trips are longer and switch to Komodo in May/June then Derawan. There Pearl of Papua runs 7 night trips but appears to have mixed reviews.

1) Any thoughts on those destinations relative to each other?

2) Recommendations / opinions on LA operators in Indonesia?

Scott, We have availability on All Star Aurora from May 20-29. This is a Labuan Bajo to Bali itinerary. If you are looking for big stuff, sharks, pelagics etc. then Komodo is known for Mantas. You will also see quite a few sharks on this itinerary. The Labuan Bajo - Bali itinerary also visits a spot to try and see Mola Mola.

The reason most operators head from Raja Ampat to Komodo this time of year is because the conditions are better. May in Raja Ampat is the start of the wet season and as a result will affect visibility as well.

The price for the May 20th trip is $3240. We offer up to 4 dives per day, multiple shore excursions and 4:1 diver to guide ratio. You can view additional information on our website - https://allstarliveaboards.com/indonesia-liveaboard-diving-aurora/. Our email me with any questions you may have at kevin@allstarliveaboards.com.

<<will affect visibility as well>>

Above the surface as well as below. :) No guarantee what weather you actually get but this area of the world can get rain like you've never seen if you haven't been there. Whiteout. But could also be raining here and not over there or raining like heck in the morning and sun in the afternoon.

Having been to all three places, Komodo could definitely be good diving and more variety than Palau which tends to be mostly wall diving. I'm just saying you wouldn't be going wrong with going to Komodo. Might be cheaper than Palau to get there because flight prices are very high to get there while flying to Bali can be good price.

Komodo over Palau yes, Palau is nice Komodo is better. Last I saw flight prices to Bali ( you catch a short flight from Bali to LBJ ) were much cheaper than Palau.

7 nights out of LBJ yes, 7 nights from Bali to LBJ is to short, with that itinerary you don't cover enough ground in the park. With the the amount of time it's better to spend it all in the park, and definitely go on a boat that has a the south part of the park on its itinerary.

You talk of may to july; may is better for smaller crowds than july.

Lots of boats to choose from find some in your price range and fit your schedule and run them by us on the board.

Komodo is a good choice. You’ll have more selection in June.

OK. Good info. The Mrs might join if we can find a mixed use resort. She is a diver too but doesn't want to hit it every day

What do you think about either Papua Paradise or Misool in late May?

I can't speak for Papua Paradise as I haven't been there. For Misool, it is off season time so the price and availability are in your favor. They have a 7+1 night schedule departing Sorong on May 26.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom