Last second dive flag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
So what do you do when you decide to take the kids snorkeling and then remember it's a holiday so no shop is open, and you have no flag?

You go to the garage and to the rag bag!

Tourists often buy cheap body boards on vacation, leave them by the beach trash cans at the end of their trip. Ive picked up half a dozen in the last year and always have some to donate.

But if you unscrew the leash holder you end up with a convenient hole to push in a length of pvc. Then a little glue and you can affix the previously top part of the leash holder underneath and into the pvc for an attachment point for your reel.

Your float is now complete and time for the flag. It seems like no matter what we do we get a free nylon bag. Perfect flag material. A little time with a sewing machine and done.

I used a retractable dog leash as a reel. Everything came out of my garage, so $0 on this project. Shallow water do the 25' was enough.

It worked really well. No real drag, it stays on top of the water. It was a calm day which im sure helped. It's stable enough to rest things on. And it gave an easy rest shelf to rest and talk. For a quick solution at short notice. Im pretty darn pleased with myself.
20190101_115121.jpg
20190101_133621.jpg

I must shop at the wrong places because I never get free orange, nylon bags :(
We've got red, orange, green... they're those cheap backpacky things. I think we've gotten 3 or 4 ag every event we've gone to since we moved to florida. Useless until today.

very cute....good work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom