Late July to Early Sep: Warm water reg ok for Vancouver Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, I used to live in Victoria and plan to pay a visit this summer since int'l travel options are likely limited.
I am hoping to do some diving in Victoria and maybe Nanaimo if possible.

I have a set of Mares Abyss Navy for Ontario lakes and Aqualung Mikron for warm water travel. I recall the water was 8-10C when I dove on July 1st in Sidney a few year ago (my only dives ever in BC).
I know Mikron is certified for 10C. I suspect it would be okay for Victoria in the summer when the water is around 10C +/- 1~2 degrees? I really don't want to take the heavier Mares Navy if i don't have to.

Also, how practical it is if I dive 5mm wet + 3mm sharkskin, instead of a dry suit? I do have an aqualung fusion but I found it uncomfortable to dive in.

Many thanks.

I dive in Puget Sound and BC year round, even where there has been ICE on the bay in Nanaimo. (near Victoria) I've used ScubaPro Mk25's, Aqualung Legends, etc that were not environmentally sealed. Never had an issue nor heard of anyone first hand who has. Sealed regs are better and more tolerant of cold conditions but it just does not get that cold up here generally to be a major issue.

Bring the dry suit. Plus minimum 7mm hood and gloves. You'll be miserable in a wet suit unless it's 80F outside, and then just uncomfortably cold. If you're even thinking about cold tolerant regs then you need a dry suit for these conditions. Think of it as environmental sealing for your body. :)

Have to agree re dry suit. Wetsuit is just tolerable for a single dive but if you are considering multiple dives a dry suit is a must. Have had one reg freeflow and then ice up here. Was quite a while ago and as I recall it was an inexpensive Oceanic - used as a bungeed second, but it is pretty rare and only happened to that reg once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom