Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I am heading to Coz at the end of the month for a few days of diving, I am keeping an eye on the current hurricane season.

I stuck me that Cozumel (Mexico in general actually), rarely sees huricanes.

I did some research and here is what I found;

Dating back to 1985 there have been the following withn 65 nm of Coz.

2 Hurricanes - Gilbert in 1988 and Roxanne in 1995
2 Tropical Storms
1 Tropical Depression.

A pretty good record statistically speaking. However Gilbert is '88 was a cat 5. Yikes...I was a little young to remmeber but I bet it tore the %^& out of the Island?

Anyway...here's hoping Emily runs out of steam. Selfishly I hope she just goes somewhere else (North?) but seeing as how Hatti got the crap kicked out of her last year and even last week.....Don't like to see anyone lose life or property.

Kleppta

PS Check this like out for the info....searchable database that you can search by Location ect.

http://hurricane.csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/viewer.html

I think a thread on this forum with regards to current cozumel conditions vis-a-vie Emily is completely appropriate and I hope this one is not moved. I'm due to arrive in Cozumel on Tuesday and I'm very interested in what develops over the weekend with Emily, as well as any advice from people on Cozumel. For instance, as of now, the prediction is that the storm will hit the island on Sunday/Monday morning. Assuming this holds true, what would it be like arriving tuesday afternoon? Should I try to postpone now? Wait a while?

Matt

I believe Gilbert did a lot more damage on the mainland (Akumal area) than it did on Cozumel. But it is mostly a matter of exposure. Cozumels tourist facilities are on the west side of the island which tends to minimize their exposure to damaging wind and sea. The little bit that is on the east side of Cozumel took a beating.

awap:
I believe Gilbert did a lot more damage on the mainland (Akumal area) than it did on Cozumel. But it is mostly a matter of exposure. Cozumels tourist facilities are on the west side of the island which tends to minimize their exposure to damaging wind and sea. The little bit that is on the east side of Cozumel took a beating.

The east side of Cozumel did indeed take a beating that is still evident today. Before Gilbert, the palm canopy over there was 20 feet off the ground. But it's an ill wind that blows nobody good: Gilbert exposed many sets of Mayan ruins on the mainland that nobody knew were there.

Mawg:
Really unusual for these storms to be happening this time of year. I've been going to Coz since 1992, almost always in May to Aug. and never had to cancel because of a storm.

Yes, unusual and scary! We have 4 more months of this to look forward to!

I don't like that Gilbert comparison AT ALL!!! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom