latex and neoprene ruining diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickielewis

Registered
Reaction score
I am allergic to neoprene and latex – a really bad allergy if you love diving. I am fine diving with a skin only in the summer (except in the springs), however fall and winter are just around the corner. Does anyone know of a company or suit that does not have either neoprene or latex? A dry suit will not do it since each of the seals are latex. Thanks for your help.

What about wearing a skin under the neoprene or latex????

If a skin under a wet suit doesn't work, then how about a dry suit with dry gloves, then you wear vinyl gloves or cloth glove liners underneath....then the problem is the neck seal, but maybe wrap a piece of vinyl around your neck under the seal...kind of like the Apollo Bio-Seal (which I understand is bad for latex seals). Then for the hood...either don't wear one (not sure how cold your waters are) or wear a summer hood skin thing under a beanie hood...or under a regular hood, and just cut it back so it complately covers the hood skin thing.

vickielewis:
I am allergic to neoprene and latex – a really bad allergy if you love diving. I am fine diving with a skin only in the summer (except in the springs), however fall and winter are just around the corner. Does anyone know of a company or suit that does not have either neoprene or latex? A dry suit will not do it since each of the seals are latex. Thanks for your help.

I have a latex allergy and I am sensitive to the coating they put on new neoprene, so I feel your pain. Is your allergy really to neoprene or to the coating on it? You could find out by trying on a well used drysuit with neopene seals at some dive shop. Bioseals are great, and a good option that could get you into a drysuit, irregardless of seal material. Good luck!

vickielewis:
I am allergic to neoprene and latex...
Oooh, that sucks! :11:

vickielewis:
Does anyone know of a company or suit that does not have either neoprene or latex? A dry suit will not do it since each of the seals are latex. Thanks for your help.
You could get a JIM Suit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIM_suit :14:

It will be interesting what gets suggested. I do not know of any recreational exposure suit capable of cold water diving that doesn't have neoprene or latex.

You may have to restrict your diving to locations with a water temp above 80. (Gee, maybe I should become alergic to neoprene and latex. :crafty: )

vickielewis:

That sounds like quite a problem. I can't think of a solution. Keep us updated on your quest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom