Latex-Free Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh, OK. I thought you meant like O2-clean the rubber o-rings!

Wow, that was a lot of useful information. I received a pretty quick response from a local dive place and they simply said what Warren said...find a new hobby. Not complaining here...if that is what needs to happen, then so be it. We'll stick to snorkeling. However, there was another dive shop here that did reply back saying they were going to do some more research for me to see if it is possible. They do give private lessons in their in house pool.

The first dive shop was PADI and the second was SSI. Doesn't mean anything really, just a note. I was certified under SSI before...but fully plan on starting from scratch as it's been way too long. That is if we can even do this.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Very helpful.

Can you clarify if it is a latex allergy or a rubber allergy? If it's just latex then you can probably do it. If the allergy is all rubbers, then you're screwed.

A BTW remark I'll have to make is...My wife is allergic to 'natural' rubber latex and in varying ways. Latex...touching it can or will cause a mild rash. Ingesting or put in the blood stream it would cause anaphylaxis almost immediately. With latex infused dust in the air, the response is quick and her throat starts to close up. So far, she is not allergic to synthetic latex.

This has happened once before and she needed an epipen and then spent a few days in the hospital. This was when we found out she had the allergy. It happened after getting a tattoo. The shop used latex gloves and the dust got in her blood stream. I was deployed when this happened too, that sucked for both of us. Regardless, her epipen is always close by.

This was the reason I asked about from compressor to mouthpiece. The air going in to her body is where she is most susceptible to, well...dying from a latex exposure..

Thanks again for the responses. All are welcome and appreciated.

GIB!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom