Launching a DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Launching a blob doesn't need to be a big chore.

Here is a video of me launching a blob at my leisure while swimming into a non trivial current (watch the bubbles, the particles in the water and the angle of the line).

This is a real-world video, not like the demonstration videos done with perfect buoyancy in completely still water. This is what it looks like when you do it during a real ocean dive in real conditions. I wasn't initially aware that my buddy was filming me or I would have posed for the shot and hung completely still.

R..

Launching a blob doesn't need to be a big chore.

Here is a video of me launching a blob at my leisure while swimming into a non trivial current (watch the bubbles, the particles in the water and the angle of the line).

This is a real-world video, not like the demonstration videos done with perfect buoyancy in completely still water. This is what it looks like when you do it during a real ocean dive in real conditions. I wasn't initially aware that my buddy was filming me or I would have posed for the shot and hung completely still.

R..
What was your depth at this point?

What was your depth at this point?

about 10m. I like to launch the blob a bit on the deep side so I can establish a stable line for the safety stop.

That said, how deep do you normally do it?

R..

Last edited:
Nice video! I always keep one on me just in case I find a shiny stainless steel anchor, I can send it to the surface and continue my dive. You would be amazed on how many are found over here.

about 10m. I like to launch the blob a bit on the deep side so I can establish a stable line for the safety stop.

R..
I prefer to do it deeper as well - fewer buoyancy issues when trying to fill it enough to stand up at the surface. Having said that, there is a regular dive site a group of us do where the sausage generally gets deployed at ~ 15' / 5m. Will generally go full negative on the bottom there to deploy.

I have never used my inflator hose. How fast is it compared to using your octo?

I have never used my inflator hose. How fast is it compared to using your octo?

I used to have a semi-closed DSMB that I filled by breathing out into it. I needed to launch it from about 15m to get the same amount of air into it as you see here from 10m.

I lost it, alas. I launched it from 36 meters on a wreck and fumbled holding the spool and needed to let it go. Never saw it again.... LOL

R..

That depends!

Rec dive, yes I'll shoot the bag at 10m or sometimes deeper.

Tec dive 21m once I've done my gas change usually to let the surface guys know we're on our way up.

Deepest I've launched a DSMB was 42m.

That depends!

Rec dive, yes I'll shoot the bag at 10m or sometimes deeper.

Tec dive 21m once I've done my gas change usually to let the surface guys know we're on our way up.

Deepest I've launched a DSMB was 42m.

For technical dives I prefer NOT to launch the blob from 21 meters because that's exactly a phase of the dive where you're busy with gas changes and whatnot. On technical dives I usually launch the blob from the first deco stop longer than 1 min because that's the first chance during the ascent where you have more time than tasks.

On the other hand, what you say is absolutely true. It depends. There can be reasons to want to shoot it much deeper. As I mentioned above I lost a buoy once launching it from 36 meters. I launched one from 42 meters once, also from a wreck (and didn't lose it ...LOL) because I was drifting off the wreck in a heavy current and wanted to signal the boat that I would not be surfacing where they expected me. They followed the buoy for 30 minutes while I ascended and did my stops and when I surfaced they were 100 meters away waiting for me.

R..

Back
Top Bottom