Launching a DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious about co2 cartridges never used one. Do they fit only in specific DSMB or can they be used in any, maybe with an adaptor? Can you post a link to co2 cartridges for scuba DSMB? Can you use other types of cartridges for example the ones for bycicle tyres?
Mine is a 1.5m dsmb using 16g co2.

CO2 Surface Marker Buoys

They are just standard 16g co2 cartridges screw in. To deploy just pull cord and let it go

Coincidentally, I found this and that yesterday. IMO it is better to overthink a procedure a little bit on land rather than have an overlooked detail turn it into a mess in the water.

Good demo videos

R..

Yeah. That's the reason I posted the video. I wanted to show how people with a given amount of experience really do it in the real world.

To me the gloves don't make much of a difference. I look (I think) about the same doing it in the light gear you see in the video or in full technical paraphernalia.

R..

Yea, but what makes me laugh is all demos are in clear blue warm water with no gloves, never anyone with 7mm gloves in the cold UK sea.
There are several GUE instructors in the UK that will teach you a very similar approach in nasty conditions with appropriate thermal protection. And you will learn to do this a whole lot faster than in the OP's video if you have an open mind.
Even with the completly unnecessary CO2 inflator you still need to manage the double enders, the spool, and the bungee holding the blob together.

There are several GUE instructors in the UK that will teach you a very similar approach in nasty conditions with appropriate thermal protection. And you will learn to do this a whole lot faster than in the OP's video if you have an open mind.
Even with the completly unnecessary CO2 inflator you still need to manage the double enders, the spool, and the bungee holding the blob together.

The point of the OP was to demonstrate that it is not a difficult skill. My allergy is for people who make the skill SEEM difficult because it fits their agenda. We have too much of that in diving... people who stand around and talk intelligently about diving but who don't dive!

It's not a difficult skill. Look back at the OP. Is there anything in that video that makes you think you need to stand around talking intelligently about it?

If so I don't see it.... That's the whole point of this thread.

R..

Mine is a 1.5m dsmb using 16g co2.

CO2 Surface Marker Buoys

They are just standard 16g co2 cartridges screw in. To deploy just pull cord and let it go
Be careful on "standard" CO2 cartridges. I don't know if there's a universal standard for all dive gear, but in other applications the threads may not match. (There's a long story about a wildlife management scientist working in a remote area being loaned a Swiss-made dart gun (anesthetizing) until his custom-made dart gun was built. Turns out the Swiss-made gun had different threads for CO2 cartridges than the "standard" US CO2 cartridge. An amateur machinist and worked miracles to get him a fix.)

The point of the OP was to demonstrate that it is not a difficult skill. My allergy is for people who make the skill SEEM difficult because it fits their agenda. We have too much of that in diving... people who stand around and talk intelligently about diving but who don't dive!

It's not a difficult skill. Look back at the OP. Is there anything in that video that makes you think you need to stand around talking intelligently about it?

If so I don't see it.... That's the whole point of this thread.

R..
Firstly, I was not the one who introduced CO2 inflators and other stuff into the discussion.

Secondly, there are several issues obvious in the video that are going to bite you sooner or later. I did not want to go there and just recommended to learn this from someone who understands the finer details. Since you decided to get personal, here is my list:
  • The whole procedure takes way too long.
  • There is no awareness of what's above you. You could have launched the blob into another diver on a crowded site and pulled him/her up to the surface.
  • Inflation with the hose increased your overall buoyancy which is not necessary for a small DSMB.
  • Then you create an entanglement hazard at 1:30
  • Followed by a slack line and another chance of entanglement at 1:43
  • The roll at 1:42 would have been a great idea BEFORE the launch, not after.
Any competent instructor will easily add 10 more items to that list. I can give you some names who will give you a free constructive critique of the video and you have a chance to learn a lot from their comments and suggestions. If what you demonstrated is good enough for you, that's your choice.

The reason why I am saying all this is not to pick a fight with you but to make other viewers aware that what you showed in the video is NOT the best, safest way to launch a DSMB especially not for a diver with your experience.

I appreciate that you posted the real-life, unedited video as a learning opportunity for everyone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom