lavacore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc.collin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

i have a bare 3mm wet suit i use in travel.
Sometime i felt cold after a couple of day of diving.

Instead of buying a new wet suit, i'm thinking of buying a lavacore

somebody can tell me if that will like a 5mm in term of heat?

you really see the difference?

i know bare sell 5/3mm Ultrawarmth Hooded Vest don't know if that could be better

thaks

Bonjour Marc
Whereabouts are you diving? What are the water temperatures? I have a 3mm SP Definition wetsuit. I used a Lavacore rash guard and a SP rash guard. I was fine in the St Lawrence last August albeit the water temp was 75 with no thermocline. Everyone is different when it comes to warmth/cold. I've heard good things about a vest but have not tried one. I'm right now in the market for a 3 or 5mm hood for a trip in a few weeks to Bonaire. Many dive friends tell me to get a hood, even for water temps above 75 F. Cheers, Darrell.

I have a 2mm Lavacore and a 3mm Henderson Thermaxx. The lavacore is fine for upper 70s into the 80s. Anything below 77 or 78 degrees, I prefer the Thermaxx.

I have when diving in temps below 55°. I also have a 1mm jumpsuit and a 2.5 mm vest so I can layer according to what temps I'm diving.

Honestly, the 3mm Thermaxx should be plenty in 75°+ water. It is for me. But everybody is different. Year before last I was with a group diving some wrecks off NC. First dive we hit a termocline at around 60 feet where the temps dropped from about 81° to around 76° just before the bottom at 75 feet. A lot of people were complaining about being cold on that dive but I was actually more comfortable there than at the surface. I was wearing my 3mm Thermaxx.

If it were me, I might would get the Thermaxx first. If it's not enough you can always get the Lavacore later. But then, I'm a cheap S.O.B., so that could just be me.

Agreed. Get a 3 ml vest with a hood. Will add to buoyance but much warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom