Laws on freshwater diving in MASS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double posting but,

When I do a shore dive from a public beach, I gear up near the car, then before ranger/lifeguard figures it out I'm submerged. I think lifeguard/rangers usually respect divers anyhow being that most of us have as much or more water rescue training than they do. Also, from what I've experienced most of them don't have a clue regarding basic diving rules.

Personally, I wouldn't worry

Well, if you don't want to risk Houghton's Pond, why not just check out Quincy Quarries? Just throwing that out there.

Nasty, you can't see your guages. There is so much decaying leaves and branches at the bottom. Thanks for the compliment about the shop.

Paul

What about Ponkapoag Pond in the Blue Hills (other side of 128 from Houghtons). It's posted no swimming, but I've never seen a ranger over on that side of the park in years of running through it.

MSilvia:
Well, the LAWS (according to MGL chapter 91 section 10D) say that
...and tidelands are defined as follows:

Since I think Houghton's Pond counts as submerged lands, it doesn't seem legal for the DCR (a political subdivision of the Commonwealth) to deny divers access to the swimming area, although they could make a case for not allowing access to the pond at large. That seems to contradict the Houghton's Pond rules, so I think I'll just make an informed phone call or two before trying it out.

FWIW, since the law does specify "Daylight Hours", I think the OGB sign might have a leg to stand on.

Very well put. I too was told about 2 years ago that, "If swimming is allowed, Diving is also." I have yet had the need to test the system and challange an environmental poloce officer on it because I dive in the most common conventional area's. I was at one time though, considering a certain body of water, thats why I looked into it.

There's always the Connecticut River. Lots of history under those waters and if you're lucky enough to find an old dump site you've hit the jackpot.

You can also go to the library and get an aquatic book about the state you live in that might have water quality and sicchi disk depths (visibility indicator) for the lakes and ponds in your state.

pgdive:
We did a dive in Cochictuate about ten years ago and it was nasty. We were doing a rescue class and we were feeling lazy and decided to try and do it locally. It was mid summer and at the surface the water was about 80 degrees, about twenty feet from the shore we were in at least 40ft (the flag line was just dangling in the blacknes )of black cold (A few numbing thermoclines) water. It really slopes off in a hurry. I'm not sure we were allowed to be diving there in the first place and I have never found a reason to go back. I do know that some of the FD Dive teams Ice dive there.
I went there once in spring two years ago (I think). Yes, you are allowed to dive there, the only rule is you must notify the park attendant. Why anyone would WANT to is another story. The only reason I would ever go there again is to practice zero-vis techniques. Utter inky blackness at 30'. Yes, I could see my gauges if I shined my light on them, but that's about it. Not fun.

JohnL:
What about Ponkapoag Pond in the Blue Hills (other side of 128 from Houghtons). It's posted no swimming, but I've never seen a ranger over on that side of the park in years of running through it.

Well, for one thing if you dive Ponkapog you'll never get narced.
It would be a max depth of 7 feet! ( maybe 7.5 feet with all the rain)
Prolly not much fun.
John C.

Back
Top Bottom