Layered wetsuits for 13°C/55°F waters

Would you be OK with a 3mm full w/ 3mm shorty, hood, socks, and gloves at 13°C/55°F?

• Yes

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 93.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prometheanfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I generally am fine with a full 3mm suit without hood, gloves or socks at 22°C/70°F

My general question is if you'd think that adding a 3mm hood and socks, basic gloves (1.5mm or so) along with a 3mm shorty over-top the 3mm suit would keep me warm enough for 13°C/55°F water.

Surface conditions are two weeks out, but average seems to be 20°C/70°F at the surface, and sunny with a mild breeze. I'll be diving to a max of about 40 feet (depends on what the lake depth is that day.

I guess the one way to know is to test, but a general guesstimate would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit, surface conditions projected and depth.

For a quick swim at the surface? Sure

For an actual dive? I certainly wouldn't be, and Ive got plenty of natural insulation.

For a quick swim at the surface? Sure

For an actual dive? I certainly wouldn't be, and Ive got plenty of natural insulation.

Ya, sounds like I'll be renting a thicker wetsuit, I tend to run warm, but not too much natural insulation. Can't beat physics (Carnot says hi).

Before I started diving a dry suit I dove a 3mm vest with an attached 5mm hood, with a 3mm full suit over the vest and a 3mm shorty over the full suit

If you're comfortable in just a 3mm at 70F, you have a higher cold tolerance than I do. But 55 is still pretty chilly. A couple other factors to consider: is 55 the surface temperature? If so, what's the temperature at depth? And what is your planned depth? Because your wetsuit will compress, so you'll be colder at 100 feet than at 40 feet even in the same temperature water. Air temperature also makes a difference. My wussy butt has been quite comfortable diving in 60 degree water when the air is 75+, but I get quite cold diving in that same water when the sun ducks behind a cloud and the air drops down to a similar temperature.

Anyway, according to this, you're within the expected range for a hot-blooded diver, but you'd still need a 7mm at the temps you're contemplating: Scuba Wetsuit Thickness Guide: How to Match Your Wetsuit to the Water Temperature

I'll likely be 60 feet at the max, probably close to 40 feet max this time of year. Temperature should remain fairly constant as the lake is used as a reservoir. https://diveworldscuba.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/JoesMap-1.jpg is the dive map. Air temp I expect to be 60-80°F (still have two weeks to wait). From your link and the expected temp (along with wearing a hood/gloves/socks, etc) I think I could get by with a short dive or two (all that's expected) if the air temp is good. I still may rent a suit just in case, it's a good chance to learn my tolerances and the like.

Given the wide variation in possible air temp and the possibility of a second dive, I'd urge you to bring lots of warm clothes for in between and after diving. Let us know how it works out!

Given the wide variation in possible air temp and the possibility of a second dive, I'd urge you to bring lots of warm clothes for in between and after diving. Let us know how it works out!

I definitely have that (northerner living in texas and all that). I'll be sure to update this with how the experiment goes (even if it's just a single dive, or even less, knowledge is good to have).

Back
Top Bottom